Thread locker orange vs blue for fan clutch

Jim993

Reaction score
The reason the fan clutch is LEFT hand threads is so it won't come off. Any kind of thread locker will make removal MUCH more difficult the next time.

My '85 Factory Service Manual (Engine)(6.9) says nothing about thread locker for re installation of the fan clutch assembly onto the water pump. 30 ft lb.

The last time I changed the water pump on my 6.9 there was NO thread locker on the large left hand nut and it came loose with a hard bump with my home made giant wrench (1 7/8")--- normal right hand tighten direction.
You must be registered for see images attach
I did not use thread locker on re assembly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason the fan clutch is LEFT hand threads is so it won't come off. Any kind of thread locker will make removal MUCH more difficult the next time.

My '85 Factory Service Manual (Engine)(6.9) says nothing about thread locker for re installation of the fan clutch assembly onto the water pump. 30 ft lb.

The last time I changed the water pump on my 6.9 there was NO thread locker on the large left hand nut and it came loose with a hard bump with my home made giant wrench (1 7/8")--- normal right hand tighten direction.
I did not use thread locker on re assembly.
That looks like the wrench I made. I also found out it makes a good pin wrench to take the packing nut off Case backhoe hydraulic cylinders when you drill a couple of holes where your tape measure is and put some short bolts in there.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell upgraded fans and fan clutches
I supply blue locktite with the fan clutches, but on my own I do not use anything

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sell upgraded fans and fan clutches
I supply blue locktite with the fan clutches, but on my own I do not use anything

Aaron makes a nice product. I just installed his fan with an HD super duty clutch on my Bronco engine yesterday that will be idling in the woods for long periods.