Ford Factory E-Locker Teardown (and some discussion)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found something interesting: "Eaton E-Locker 4"

You must be registered for see images attach

It seems to use a very similar design to the sterling. The mechanism works by grabbing the back face of side pinion gear. Only real difference is Eaton put the mechanism opposite to the ring gear. Everything else is nearly identical, including the short travel, and larger number of locking elements (possibly to compensate for the short travel?).

They make a point of saying that it "Does not disengage when shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa".

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They make a point of saying that it "Does not disengage when shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa".
Probably a '1-up' type statement against the torsen style diffs and Dana powr-lok.

Toyota and Nissan have (had?) electric lockers. I don't believe they disengaged on direction change.

Coopons

Reaction score
Excellent write up! I like they way you took it apart and showed the internals. I'm running one in my 96 stroke that I rear axle swapped with an 09 10.5. But I never actually took mine apart to see how it worked. I also just have mine wired to a relay and switch. Side note I payed $400 for a used unit from my local wrecker.