Factory Ford E-Locker Install

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall this thread from a little while back, where I had purchased a used factory Ford E-locker and did some investigating by taking it apart: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/ford-factory-e-locker-teardown-and-some-discussion.90536/

This weekend, I finally found the time and gumption to install it.

The install is pretty straight forward:
1. Remove old carrier
2. Swap ring gear to new carrier
3. Install new carrier
4. Wire switch ***

*** This part can be tricky.

For steps 1 to 3, it's no different than any other gear swap. In my case, even the shims worked out fine, giving me 0.008" back lash, which is right where Yukon recommends. So no real gear setup was needed in my case; it just worked on the first try.
You must be registered for see images attach

For wiring, it depends on how you want to run the wire from inside the case, since older sterling axles have no provision for this. From what I've seen, there are generally three options:

1. Cut grooves into the diff cover flange and route the wires out through the gasket material. This is the least intrusive if you modify the pan, and not the diff housing.
2. Drill a hole next to the driver's side and run the wires through there using a strain relief or similar fitting.
3. Adapt the OEM style bulkhead connector to mimic the OEM style connection.

More to come...

Some have suggested putting a fitting on the cover, but I haven't figured out how to do this, so I opted for #3.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so about that electrical connector.

My first plan was to drill the correct size hole into the case, so that I could just use the O-ring on the connector to keep everything sealed. Unfortunately, because there is no raised casting on the older differential cases, the connector punches through on an angle, and interferes with the bearing cap.

My fix for this was to build a spacer out of marine grade "starboard". The connector seals to the plastic with it's own O-ring, while the starboard will seal to the case with "Ultrablack RightStiff" RTV. I've had good luck with this particular RTV but if it doesn't work here, I'll come up with something else.

Next up, I just have to wire the switch. I did test it under the truck with a 12V battery, and the locker works.

More to come...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice upgrade! What a treat that you didn't have to shim it, saved at least an hour right there, in my case 2.

How long did it take to drill that hole and how did you keep shavings out of the bearings, etc?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Not often I see other people use dial indicators. Mechanics who do thing the right way isn't a dying trade I swear here's my proof :rotflmao

Well actually, I'm just a guy puttering in his own shop. So maybe the trade really is dead.LOL

Nice upgrade! What a treat that you didn't have to shim it, saved at least an hour right there, in my case 2.

How long did it take to drill that hole and how did you keep shavings out of the bearings, etc?

Sometimes we get lucky. Or maybe Ford really was that good in keeping things consistent over the last 35 years? (yeah, I'll call it luck...)

I'd suggest a full vocabulary of weapons grade expletives for the drilling part of the job. Wasn't fun and the cordless drill wasn't happy either. Even with a pilot hole and plenty of oil, it was slow going. I didn't do any drilling with the bearings in place. Once I knew where to drill, the case was emptied again so it could be properly cleaned of all cuttings.

The thread tapped hole was fairly easy.

My biggest worry is that the RTV will start leaking at some point but I'll deal with that when it happens.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wires are routed to a simple rocker switch under the dash, just ahead of the 4wd shifter. I still like the idea of using a toyota land cruiser switch, since they come with dual locker functionality for when I eventually put a front locker in: https://www.yotamasters.com/shop/differential/lockers/80-series-land-cruiser-diff-lock-switch/

The simple rocker switch will probably stay for a long time, considering how long it too for me to get this far with the upgrades.

The wire is a shielded twin sheathed cable (surplus I had lying around) and should hold up nicely to whatever road spray there is. I also terminated the end of the wires directly inside the connector at the differential instead of using an external splice. The original connector wires were both black, but the twin sheathed cable are black and red.

No rolling test tonight, but it works fine on jack stands. Once I finish cleaning up tomorrow I might give it a try in the yard. For now, I'll put my feet up and call it a day.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think that's a wrap. I tried it in the yard in a few places on the slushy snow and gravel. I can certainly see it working correctly with no slip. As expected, the rear tires start chewing up the gravel on a tight turn as well. It's not an earth shattering improvement in traction, since most of the weight is still on the front axle.

The only thing now is to monitor over the next few weeks to make sure there are no oil leaks. Oh, and start looking for front E-Locker options.