Things that go bump // Back up camera recommendation ??

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backing up a '94 idi crewcab dually is fun. I have not dinged the rear bumper, YET. I have stopped a few too many times 10 feet away only to get out of the cab and say nasty things.
So!
What recommendations do you have?
I have seen the camera that is part of the rear view mirror.
Not sure i need something that is bolted to the dash.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been too stubborn to use something like that, but I'll admit, there are a few times it would have been handy. I'll be following to see what turns up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've always been too stubborn to use something like that, but I'll admit, there are a few times it would have been handy. I'll be following to see what turns up.
I completely understand this. I haven't done much of anything with a crew cab (not counting some test drives without a trailer) for almost 30 years. I'll be watching too since I hope to have one someday.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they make an exact perfect mount for the mirror to our bracket, I would go with an upgraded stereo or maybe a dash screen. Wiring is usually easy, they make them built into a license plate holder which is pretty clean, be nice if it were adjustable too. The wiring kit they come with always explains how to wire it pretty well.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a recommendation on a camera kit, but, I do on having the system.

Momma's Infiniti and Dad's F150 both have the factory back up camera. They use the screen for the "radio"... so they are decent sized. My plain jane 150 doesn't have one. I will say it is nice when hitching up. Backing with the trailer is nice, but the one on the Infiniti is a "fish eye" lens so perspective when backing gets a bit off. I've found that if I am backing my 5x9 flatbed it's easier to poke the power liftgate button and look out the back. The Ford camera seems to have a better perspective, plus it has "guidelines" that give a better idea where the edges of the truck are. The Infiniti is just the picture on a screen. In tight quarters having a camera is better than no camera. You can back right up against something and leave a fraction of an inch because you can see exactly where you are. You can see the ball and tongue and can get yourself lined up. I don't necessarily miss it on my 150, but I have the big mirrors, and I don't tow as much as I used too. I've looked at the aftermarket systems, but nothing more than a "hey that might be nice" thing. But something long like a CC, or a van that you just can't see, they are really nice.

I even passed a newer "cargo van" that was and completely windowless van, except the drivers and passenger doors. It had a "rear view mirror" mounted on the windshield where it should be, but the entire "mirror" was a screen that showed an outside camera with the same perspective as the mirror would have. Don't know if you could change the display, but I thought it was a really neat idea......

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I even passed a newer "cargo van" that was and completely windowless van, except the drivers and passenger doors. It had a "rear view mirror" mounted on the windshield where it should be, but the entire "mirror" was a screen that showed an outside camera with the same perspective as the mirror would have. Don't know if you could change the display, but I thought it was a really neat idea......

New corvettes have that too, pretty neat tech. If it's not already in the aftermarket it probably will be at Christmas time.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's what I did. I did the Metra dash kit to convert to double din as the dash glare made it hard to see a smaller screen. Then I just got a cheapo license plate camera from Amazon. Works great. With a 4" lift, 35s and a truck topper it's difficult to back up in parking lots. Deck is a Sony Xav-v10bt. It has backup lines integrated into the deck, and the camera I got had backup guidelines as well. Here's the camera I got: VZCY Waterproof Backup Camera, 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angle, 8 LEDs Night Vision HD Color
Here's some pics of the deck and the backup camera view. I'm more than pleased with the final results. I like this deck more than the OEM unit in my suburban.

You must be registered for see images attach

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be what i am after. The dash mount is nice but *might* limit potential future changes
A wireless camera off the mirror should be easy enough to change out. I liked the reviews of how wonderful it is. Now to find a few reviews that mentions limitations and problems encountered.
Then I get to buy it ($250) and watch the wife flip.
Too bad.
Inner voice is telling me, I wonder what the back up camera on a new truck looks like?
Yeah. Not gonna get one of those for awhile. First this one needs finishing.
Still got the 4X4 changeover to finish, mount the gauge pod with 4 holes and a few other things.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what the camera perspective is from a 2013 F-150 4x4. It's at a dealer around the corner and I saw this picture in their description....

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just not really impressed with wiping out a section of dash for it. Impressive enough and works with a truck it was designed to go into in the first place. The mirror camera option gives an optional camera that could be mounted on the camper. Mirror with or without the camper on the truck. That currently has my attention.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's what I did. I did the Metra dash kit to convert to double din as the dash glare made it hard to see a smaller screen. Then I just got a cheapo license plate camera from Amazon. Works great. With a 4" lift, 35s and a truck topper it's difficult to back up in parking lots. Deck is a Sony Xav-v10bt. It has backup lines integrated into the deck, and the camera I got had backup guidelines as well. Here's the camera I got: VZCY Waterproof Backup Camera, 170 Degree Wide Viewing Angle, 8 LEDs Night Vision HD Color
Here's some pics of the deck and the backup camera view. I'm more than pleased with the final results. I like this deck more than the OEM unit in my suburban.

AC/DC Makes these feel a bit more powerful

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah baby! I had to give it a thought or two and the wireless signal, especially with a camper would work out quite well. Looks like the only thing i need to do is investigate the final price with two cameras, How about a third to mount on the back of the cab when backing the truck up under the camper?
Trouble with that might be wiring it in without looking foo-gly.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I often think about installing a backup cam on my IDI van, but every summer I use my van A LOT (usually over 15,000 miles in July alone), and by August, I'm so adept at parallel parking and backing up, that I just don't think I need the camera.

If anything, I'd install the backup camera for my guests who borrow my van and think it's the size of a battleship.