BW 1356 Transfer case and things that go bump in the night

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all. This is getting to be fun. '94 7.4 idiT crewcab dually. Waiting for the Allison trans to show up and the Promar engine to return.
Currently the BW1356 transfer case is out and getting gone through again. Seems the last time it was put in with Mercon V trans fluid. Stupidly I had a shop work on this truck not long ago while I got a knee replaced. One mistake after another. The transfer case was assaulted with MerconV ATF , NOT MEANT FOR TRANFER CASES. I won't mention the river of silver that would not stop bleeding. The pump being the weak spot and this case has the bolt through the outside of it to strengthen it. Not my idea, but it is there currently. I got it all together and found I left the one large spring out, Try again and then got it sealed up and reassembled and wasn't smart enough to pull up on one shaft and get the final clip in.
So, stupidly pulled it all back apart again. idi0t me.
Currently it is waiting the final assembly again.
The front axle for the 4x4 conversion is a Dana 60 and it is all apart and waiting for me to get to that. It also will get an Elocker diff added to the front that meets up with a True Track rear diff. The leaf springs are going with a reverse shackle and somewhere in there goes a front hitch connected to the front frame arms.
I deliriously would like to get this all done by the 1st of Sept.
Meanwhile no engine or trans in sight.
That should give me enough time to shave rivets and change over from 2WD to 4X4. Think I will not put the front axle in until I get the Allison transmission under the toy. I mean "Truck". Yeah. That it. "Truck".