the worst engineering part of your Ford?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that the power lock system is riveted in place to the point where you can't work on any of it without demolishing stuff. My back drivers side door will never lock unless I perform a rain dance and push the lock halfway down before I press the button. Can't get that stupid crap out of the door though, so that's how it stays. Gonna end up welding the stupid thing shut one of these days and making everyone get out the other door in the back. By everyone, I mean the groceries and beer. I don't even know why I own a quad cab. Probably have more then 2 people in my truck maybe 5-10 times all year. Power window system blows too, I have that one window passenger side that "creeps" up if you don't give it a gentle push as you press the button up.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be worse, in the late 80s/ mid 90s Chevy doors you have remove rivets and the drill/ tap screws just to get your interior door handle replaced.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i posted this to give me ideas of what to modify on my truck.

most of the issues i have already addressed.
where theres a will, there IS a way.

with my new wiring harness, all of the wiring issues should be null and void.

ive nipped the fuel return line issues in the bud, hopefully.

little things like a wiper motor clip are easy to deal with, knowing all too well what can happen.
take precautions with things like that and it wont bite you in the 10.25!

power lock actuators? lol you dont have a superduty do you? they have a diode in them that renders the actuator inoperable and alot harder to cure than 1 rivet.

the firewall issue will be delt with shortly, im replacing the rusted out section and adding the reinforcement plate.

when it comes to keys, i had to replace the column when i got my truck, and i went and got a whole set ign and door locks.
issue covered.

no issues with my rear diff, yet (crosses fingers)

throttle cable: i think i have a short cable, because it does not get anywhere near my injector lines.
i do have it ziptied away from my ups and downs.

i did have an issue with my fuel pick up, vent system and FSV, but a deletion of the switch and a good cleaning of the vent has done me well.

keep them coming guys.
i want to address all flaws you guys can come up with
in order for a more perfect union:D

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only who is having consistent issues with the windshield wipers/ multi-switch? Two different trucks and same thing. Jiggle jiggle, wipe wipe, jiggle jiggle, wipe wipe....

I've been seriously considering fabricating interior door handles out of 1/8" steel. Lol

I'm also considering adding aftermarket gauges, but actually using them to replace the factor gauges in my instrument cluster behind the plastic shield. I dunno, crazy?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i replaced my wiper motor when i got my truck, i havnt had a single issue.
but im in CA, the weather is alot nicer to trucks out here.

fabricating interior door handles? man you gotta be crazy! lol 12 bucks for the left and right door? and free shipping? how can you beat that?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the transfer case shifter buzz constantly for everyone else too? Mine buzzes like an angry hive and drives me crazy, from what I've read it's really common and I think exclusive to the IDI trucks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine never buzzed.

but my throwout bearings needs to be thrown into the dead sea!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Am I the only who is having consistent issues with the windshield wipers/ multi-switch? Two different trucks and same thing. Jiggle jiggle, wipe wipe, jiggle jiggle, wipe wipe....

Common problem from being jarred every time the park brake is released. It physically shakes the soldered in components apart. After 20 years, the capacitors are probably not all that great either.

Does the transfer case shifter buzz constantly for everyone else too? Mine buzzes like an angry hive and drives me crazy, from what I've read it's really common and I think exclusive to the IDI trucks.

My 1986 buzzes. That is why the wife is not fond of the antique. :rolleyes:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score

Yep, I have two gloves over the knob which kinda-sorta helps. Obnoxious on long drives though!

oztinker47

Reaction score
The windshield washer fluid reservoir is way too small on my '85, doesn't quite hold a half gallon. When the roads are slushy and messy its gone far too quickly. Then there's the hose popping off the bottom all the time, they put an extra plastic collar around it so I can't just slip a spring clamp on it.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought vehicle engineers were evil people, and with all brands of American cars that is true for anything built in the 70's and up. I grew up thinking this is just how it was, that all cars were made to be difficult to be worked on. Several years ago I bought a 2001 BMW 740i and proceeded to bring it back to factory fresh. It took a few years and everything on it was designed with the mechanic in mind. Three weeks after back surgery I replaced the entire cooling system, by myself, with only a handful of tools. Everything was so logical, with minimal internet help the job took a day. That is draining fluids, pulling reservoir, hoses, radiator, fan, water pump, tubes etc, and replacing them. It was disgustingly easy. I also rebuilt the driveshaft from tranny to the diff, flex disc, center bearing, CV on diff and every bolt came undone with ease. Even the exhaust bolts came loose without any penetrant and I used a 1/4" drive socket to remove the exhaust pipe from the headers, not rusted and after breaking them loose, I used my fingers to remove the nuts. With everything I did to that car, there were no skinned knuckles, no profanity and everything made perfect sense. My only regret is selling it after making it near perfect.

Now when I work on our trucks I really appreciate the thought the BMW engineers gave to everything. Of course poor engineering isn't a Ford exclusive thing, GM and Dodge are just as bad.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have an awfully annoying vibration at exactly 1100 rpms before? Doesn't matter what gear I'm in or even if I'm in gear or moving at all. Just 1100 rpms inside my dash right where the temp and fuel gauges are but it's coming from behind them. Have looked for it since I got the truck two months ago and just cannot find anything that could be causing it. It's only heard from inside too. Lost.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have an awfully annoying vibration at exactly 1100 rpms before? Doesn't matter what gear I'm in or even if I'm in gear or moving at all. Just 1100 rpms inside my dash right where the temp and fuel gauges are but it's coming from behind them. Have looked for it since I got the truck two months ago and just cannot find anything that could be causing it. It's only heard from inside too. Lost.

just spray a crap load of expansion foam in it and call it done LOL:rotflmao

ok, do not do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance