Parts becoming obsolete

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the IDI world and have found that parts are becoming obsolete. For example, I have the belt tensioner with the support shock (1 of the 3 variations ford created for belt tensioners on the IDI). Ford no long makes these parts as they are "obsolete according to two dealerships and the aftermarket stuff from Autozone/Napa/Oriellys/Advanced Auto don't fit. What do you guys do in this situation?
Don't get hung up on the shock absorber versus non-shock absorber version. I've broken both, my recommendation is to keep a spare tensioner and belt behind the seat. Good luck and welcome to OB.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to the body I prefer the bullnose. But I do like the interior of the brick nose better.

I really miss the one that I totaled, it wasn't a diesel but I loved thet truck. Was an 89 f250 4x4 rclb with a 302 and zf5, I had an 84 clip and bed on it. Was the best of both body styles.

James
.... dude..... The slim thin hard plastic stearing wheel is waaaayyyyyyy more classy then that chunky rubber thing of a steering wheel in a bricknose. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact! Just ask @Austin86250 , he knows! The front of the bullnose is so sharp that you can cut yourself on it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the IDI world and have found that parts are becoming obsolete. For example, I have the belt tensioner with the support shock (1 of the 3 variations ford created for belt tensioners on the IDI). Ford no long makes these parts as they are "obsolete according to two dealerships and the aftermarket stuff from Autozone/Napa/Oriellys/Advanced Auto don't fit. What do you guys do in this situation?
Yeah, hey man! Welcome to the club. Sorry to steal your thread @rreegg started it when he made the "parts bronco" crack and I couldn't leave it lie. But really, necessity is the mother of invention and buddy these guys have invented all sorts of stuff to make it happen and get er dun. Unless you're trying to make a perfectly restored original you can use your imagination and make something work, except for maybe head gaskets. They've even figured out how to jerry rig a 460 transmission to the back of these engines. And if you got a bunch of money you can drop a 12V Cummins under the hood and I bet there's more parts available for them and then you're already rigging stuff so why not do it big with bailing wire and duct tape.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... dude..... The slim thin hard plastic stearing wheel is waaaayyyyyyy more classy then that chunky rubber thing of a steering wheel in a bricknose. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact! Just ask @Austin86250 , he knows! The front of the bullnose is so sharp that you can cut yourself on it.
Oh yea, feels like an old muscle car wheel, as for idi brick and aero are superior power trains but man do the bullnose have bricks beat for gassers dont get me started on obd1

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If I could ask...what is it about the ones that you prefer that draws you to them..? I am a bullnose myself...(is that 80-86 ?) but I have a brick that I have been saving for years that I might fix up. It has (had) a 460, ZF, and 4X4 all of the driveline is sitting in the bed under a cover.
I prefer the indicator lights to be lower. With how tall I am, the turn signal indicators were just out of sight behind the steering wheel.
I also didn't care much for the squiggly shift lever so it would clear the dash/seat. Also, more readily available parts for AC on a brick.
I also like the more square front end. I definitely dig that retro look, probably why I liked my 92 camaro so much. Square headlights, square tail lights.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slim thin hard plastic stearing wheel is waaaayyyyyyy more classy then that chunky rubber thing of a steering wheel in a bricknose.
I am going to go with, we are going have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Both of my current bulls have brick steering wheels in them. The original steering wheel is just too small for my big hands.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to go with, we are going have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Both of my current bulls have brick steering wheels in them. The original steering wheel is just too small for my big hands.

James
I have giant hands too, you daintily hold the wheel between the thumb nuckle and index finger of the left hand just above the cross bar with your elbow on your knee or door ledge for winter or rainy driving with the window up paying attention not to roll the passenger window down because the switch is right by your knee. For summer, window down driving, in NW Florida you don't hold the wheel, you lay your right wrist over the top of the wheel and hang way out the window to catch a breeze. That's the official "how to operate a bullnose steering wheel" discription that should be posted in the tech section.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully the main reason I changed both of mine was because they were cracked in numerous places and all the plastic around the horn button and cruise buttons was falling apart. If my originals were mint I wouldn't have changed them.

I also got the added benefit of accidentally fixing the cruise in my 83 when I installed the brick wheel. I always figured the speed sensor was bad so I never messed with it, turns out it was in the steering wheel.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the Bull Nose steering wheel is too dang skinny. Walmart has Steering Wheel covers around $12. Makes the wheel fatter and more comfortable to hold.

Think Iam on my 3rd one since 7/14.
I better stock up on them is China cuts our supply of parts. ;Poke

I never cared for the brick Nose trucks with their plastic yellowed out crappy plastic Head Lights.
Now throw on a Bull Nose front end with the crappy glass sealed beams.....

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never cared for the brick Nose trucks with their plastic yellowed out crappy plastic Head Lights.
Now throw on a Bull Nose front end with the crappy glass sealed beams.....
Geezzz...Mr. Goat..no need to hold back...tell us how you REALLY feel...

I am glad to know that I can always count on you to get the straight scoop...

Man alive...whew...

I like the steering wheel wraps, too.

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of big hands...I wonder how big is considered 'big'.
When I see welding gloves, I try them on and buy ones that have long enough fingers...hard to find ones that really fit so I get them while I can.
There is a famous book written by a German author....'The Magic Mountain'...written before the First World War...that talks about a sanitarium in Switzerland and the people in it. The resident Doctor...the guy that was running the place...was said to have a hand the size of a shovel.

Since most of us work with our hands...I figured that this would be of some interest.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My contribution to the original question. Anytime I run into obsolete parts (which I do often, most of what I own is old enough to be classified as antique) I either scavenge salvage yards or fabricate something to fix it or adapt something to work.

James

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of you with large enough space could foster a supply of parts trucks for those of us with more modest storage spaces(cue sappy Sarah McLachlan song).

Also, Bullnose, best nose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7