Parts becoming obsolete

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the obsolete parts...if you can get the part number...maybe you can find a sympathetic Ford parts guy or gal to help you...or by any other means...I have used Green Sales to get stuff...it looks like they must buy up old stock and offer it out.

You guys know other sources I imagine...when someone asked about a parking brake warning switch you men ponied up at least four sources...I would have called them but it was an old thread and I had another idea...I just don't have time right now to be fabbing up anything.

Anyway "invention necessity is a mother".. Uh.."Mother is the necessity of invention"....or something like that...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the obsolete parts...if you can get the part number...maybe you can find a sympathetic Ford parts guy or gal to help you...or by any other means...I have used Green Sales to get stuff...it looks like they must buy up old stock and offer it out.

You guys know other sources I imagine...when someone asked about a parking brake warning switch you men ponied up at least four sources...I would have called them but it was an old thread and I had another idea...I just don't have time right now to be fabbing up anything.

Anyway "invention necessity is a mother".. Uh.."Mother is the necessity of invention"....or something like that...
Even better, maybe some of you guys that are REALLY industrious, like @IDIoit, could do like Dennis carpenter and just start making the stuff and then cater to us weirdos on this website. It's a rediculous and money loosing business model, but think of the 8 people you'll help and all the money you will loose! Cue the "Cheers" theme.......some times you want to go......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe some of you with large enough space could foster a supply of parts trucks for those of us with more modest storage spaces
I sure would if I had a big enough space. I have a very small stash in what little space I have, but it's mostly extras for me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never have figured out why some guys want to "upgrade" their truck to a serpentine belt system. One thing goes wrong, you are dead in the water. And now it sounds like you can't get parts for it anymore either. I will stick with my v-belts, and my dinky 100 amp alternator.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never have figured out why some guys want to "upgrade" their truck to a serpentine belt system. One thing goes wrong, you are dead in the water. And now it sounds like you can't get parts for it anymore either. I will stick with my v-belts, and my dinky 100 amp alternator.
Wider belt= can run smaller pully in turn makes your accessories work better, and “save hp”

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yet cars use serpentine belts and last years and many miles. I think that the argument of being stuck is moot. Comes down to opinion of what you want.
All I can say after having both, is that I appreciate it being more compact, plus my ac has never worked as good as it does now.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have not seen a serp belt system that was less dependable than V belts. Yes, one part fails and it is a train wreck, but I have never had 1 v belt fail, and not have it take out other belts on the way.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a guy I work with that had a 94 idi, and was stranded at least twice. Once the idler pulley fell apart. The other one, the bearing went out in the A/C compressor pulley. Had to get towed both times. If you already have the serpentine system, I suppose you have to work with what you have. I would never go to the effort and expensive to change from a v-belt system to a serpentine system.

One of the few things that has gone wrong with my 2009 superduty at work. The idler pulley assemblies have gone bad. Talking about something fun to work on, you can't even see the engine.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am staying out of this as best as I can.....ummff...rummfff...waammmfff...uuuunnnhhhuuuhhh...

I'm gonna run what the thing came with and not mess with it unless I have trouble with it...I bought a bunch of spare parts for my truck when I got it and I have been changing them out as I see the need...

That includes a full complement of V-belts...Gates...I have had better life out of Gates belts.

By the way...when I first went to look at the truck...I was elated...under the hood was NO AIR CONDITIONING...no bunch of ugly crud to have to work with or around...If I had a bracket to mount the alternator low below the head centerline...I would change that.

My engine is beautiful and I want to see it...all of it...as much as I can and often...

It doesn't get hot enough here to need AC...long as I have water...I am good.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a guy I work with that had a 94 idi, and was stranded at least twice. Once the idler pulley fell apart. The other one, the bearing went out in the A/C compressor pulley. Had to get towed both times. If you already have the serpentine system, I suppose you have to work with what you have. I would never go to the effort and expensive to change from a v-belt system to a serpentine system.

Before I make my run on the interstate in a vehical of unknow state, I will run back roads a few times to test it. When I ran back roads with snow white, I found the vaccum pump to be a issue. I put the serpentine belt setup on her with a custom saginaw pump install for the hydroboost. Well the vaccum pump decided to barf it guts and left me with out a belt, that was pulled and thrown in the bed. Then I made a new belt out of some wire, and ran to the nearest auto parts store staying out the throttle. I got 2 belts the size of the wire and had no other issues, I only ran her 20k miles before parking her and this set up is going on the new engine. As for the ac and idler, I have only seen them fail after making noise for some time. So if you keep a noise free setup and not run a vaccum pump, I dont see failer past a snaped/sliped belt being a issue on these idi's.

R Squared

Reaction score
They look really cool, even on blocks. When other ford guys see them you can say things like, "yeeaaah, I'm gonna fix it all up and do this and that......" And watch them get the palpitations. And storage, my parts bronco looks way better than a long bed with a camper.
Look, I know I got excited about seeing your broncos the other day but no need to oust me like that. Lol