the worst engineering part of your Ford?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Fords crushed downpipe for the turbo.... Cant believe im on page 2 and haven't seen it yet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ cuz they all been chucked in the trash???I'll add...
Vaccume blend doors
Effing dash attatchments
Gauge pannel
The obs pass front seat slider in an extra cab
Fords famous tailgate hardware
Cooling system shortcommings
Lack of a true cold air intake
Paper thin tin on the obs truck
Soso steering collum componnents

Good thing ya did not ask about big bodied chebbies!

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only actual engineering flaw I'd complain about on my truck is the Dana 50 front end.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

everyone says this.what issues do you actually have with it though? iv never had an issue with mine.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right and my criticism may be unfair because the truck is 20 years old. I'm pretty certain it needs considerable rebuilding and the TTB is much more complicated for me to understand than a solid axle and it's not as heavy duty, and expensive to work on.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The alignment on a TTB front axle will change under acceleration/deceleration, under load, road contour, the wind changing directions, a hard fart, etc. However, it does make for a nice ride on a straight/flat stretch LOL

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reply to fordf250....
The pivot bushes, the spindles, the diff, the camber change's, tire wear, ease of grenade ability off road.
The simple fact that the sa 44 could have been built to carry the same rating without the weak link center pivot.
But it beats a buggy spring.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Reply to fordf250....
The pivot bushes, the spindles, the diff, the camber change's, tire wear, ease of grenade ability off road.
The simple fact that the sa 44 could have been built to carry the same rating without the weak link center pivot.

Ford did that with 3/4 ton trucks. Solid D44 front, high pinion/reverse cut gears, leaf spring perches, extra ribbing on the cast iron differential case, larger diameter bearings/spindle, larger caliper bracket with dual piston calipers. I converted a '79 solid D44 (cast in wedge year) from 5 lug to 8 lug with HD D44 TTB rotors. Spindles where the same diameter, just different flange/bolt pattern.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reply to fordf250....

22 years old and so far so good.i replaced the ball joints and tie rods but as to be expected i suppose.i have her lined up every year at the beginning of the season.i always have even tire ware.my off road is just grass though i'll admit.;)

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put airbags on my D-50 so it could handle the weight of my plow. A side benefit is that now I can dial in the camber year round (carry a bicycle pump in the cab for fine tuning), tires have been wearing nice & even. Still; the design of the thing (D-50) makes my head hurt.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ttb in the 93 does ride better than my 88 did,I forgot to add the sucky turning radius!
I miss that the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online