Ford Parts Giant sucks

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously tho, went to Ford 3 times recently checking for some minor parts fit 7.3 & they obsolete. Can't get them, but they gave me part #'s.
I'm not sure how it works in your area but I have noticed here that dealers working with different warehouses have access to different parts.

I have had times I can go to a dealership in Oklahoma and they tell me the part is obsolete, go to the dealership in Kansas and they have it in a couple days.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends who the parts guy is. An older guy that has been around for ever, will a lot of times work with you, and know how to search to now where and how to get the part. Who has it and how many.

A young guy all he knows is the Internet, and what comes up on the Computer, OH, cant get it, NLA, Obsolete etc.... and they don`t want to deal with you.

The older guy lots of times will give you the part#, or if you ask.

I`ll use the # on Google and do some searching, and lots of time find the part. Of course, E-Bay will gold plate the part and the price is through the roof.

I was recently searching for NOS/OEM Lift Pumps using the part#. Some had it listed but contacting them, didn`t have it and didn`t update the Computer.
One parts guy said 2 other dealers showed it in his area, One had it, Alma Ford in Alma, Mi. parts guy had one on the shelf, paid full retail, and looked like it was on their shelf a long time.

I now have 2 NOS/OEM pumps on the shelf being patient and searching.

The old parts guys from before computers, are long gone. They knew how to look for parts, and lot of them had part# in their heads. And all they had was the big set of book on the counter.
But computer`s opened a whole big world of availability, they didn`t have access to.

Goat

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into a problem with a plastic brake fluid line for my master/slave cylinder clutch system. I was going to bench bleed the complete system and then install it. Got the parts from Rock Auto.

Well...the hose bends were a mirror image from the original and it just was not going to work.

Did these trucks come in a Postal Service Version..? That would explain the configuration...I mean...I have seen some pretty cool Postal Jeeps but a Dually F-350 would be interesting...Maybe they were sold in Britain, New Zealand, or Australia...?

Anyway...I put new o-rings on my original hose and put it together.

I also know now that my door panels are newer than the truck when I got window scraper seal strips. I looked at the part # on the inside of the panels after I discovered that the 80-86 strips would not attach.

Ran into the same problem with door speakers...Got 'em for a 1985 and they were too big to go in the holes...and I will not cut the door.
So I just mounted them on shelving board and put them behind the seat.
Anybody need a clutch hose for a postal truck..?
Or some window felt..? Inner and outer.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When Ford cut off the corner of the Vent window to clear the Dash on the later trucks, (87 and on?) That changed things...

I have dragged home doors from PNP when they have a $25 sale, have both early and later doors.

I ordered new Door Panels, Window Channel, Window Wipes, Wing Glass rubbers etc...
One time for the 86, then another time for a 96 door.
So when I was redoing the 86, the stupid window wipe was too long, and the clips did not line up with the hole in door or panel. What the #&%@.

Next morning I get back on it, but misplaced the stupid wipe. Open up the other box, (for the 86) and the wipe fit perfectly.
I didn`t mark on the out side of the box as to what year fit what.

So when Ford Chopped off the wing glass, they changed the width of the door glass also.
Sudle changes that trip us up.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online