"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also grew up calling bits bits, etc, but in the last few years learned that machinists call them drills. It makes sense as the driver doesn't do one tiny bit of drilling, it just drives the drill.
Have they ever used a brace and bit to drill a hole in wood? Those were most likely around before electric or otherwise powered hand drills were invented.
Do you drill the hole with the bit or the drill?
I've always put a bit into a drill to drill a hole.
Or do you bit the drill to make the hole?
No, but I do bite the bit with the jaws on a drill.
Should you drill the whole bit?
That depends on how deep of a hole you have to drill.
Or just a bit of the whole?
See the above answer for this one too.
If you drill with a bit the whole hole, is WD-40 nessicery or is this another opportunity to use waste oil?
WD-40 isn't required, but, when drilling metal, some type of lubricant, even waste oil. should be used.
Is "drill" a verb or noun?
That would depend on the context that you're using the word "drill" in.
And can it be powered by an alternative fuel?
It can if you can generate enough electricity to power the drill. That's only talking about electric drills which are, by far, the most common and probably owned by most, if not all of us here on this forum..

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And can it be powered by an alternative fuel?
It can if you can generate enough electricity to power the drill. That's only talking about electric drills which are, by far, the most common and probably owned by most, if not all of us here on this forum..

You can jump through a few hoop and have a gas one...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Also seen some one replace a electric motor with a weed wacker engine you tube...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to reference, the people most engrossed in the science and use of said tools refer to the twisty bit as a drill. I also grew up calling bits bits, etc, but in the last few years learned that machinists call them drills. It makes sense as the driver doesn't do one tiny bit of drilling, it just drives the drill.

First world problems! :rotflmao

Have they ever used a brace and bit to drill a hole in wood? Those were most likely around before electric or otherwise powered hand drills were invented.

Drilling holes was around, a long time before modern machinists were.

The bit was called a bit. The drill was called a brace. What machinists there were, called them the same.

When powered drills were invented, the machine was called a drill.

Modern machinists adopted their nomenclature after all that. Changing "bit" to "drill". Why? I don't know. Elitist? Less confusing for them? To make it just that bit more difficult to become a 'machinist"? (Got to learn the language.)

Use whatever you want. I'll stick with what I learned more than 50 years ago. Less confusing to me. :)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drilling holes was around, a long time before modern machinists were.

The bit was called a bit. The drill was called a brace. What machinists there were, called them the same.

When powered drills were invented, the machine was called a drill.

Modern machinists adopted their nomenclature after all that. Changing "bit" to "drill". Why? I don't know. Elitist? Less confusing for them? To make it just that bit more difficult to become a 'machinist"? (Got to learn the language.)

Use whatever you want. I'll stick with what I learned more than 50 years ago. Less confusing to me. :)
I totally get this specialized use of language. I have bovine, you might say "cows" but "cow" specifically refers to a specific "gender identity" of bovine. I don't know anything about "machinist talk", so I would be apt to say "the spinny thingy" hoping not to be an insult. But any of y'all might say, "look at that little cow!" And I'd probably correct you by saying, "that's a heifer calf."

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cobalt bits are an alloy and can be resharpened without losing their benefits as it's not just a coating but the chemical composition of the metal.
Thank you very much for that little tidbit...I will remember that if/when I go to buy any more bits...uh...drills...uh...drill bits, heck.

Right now I have a small mountain of a collection of drill bits to go though before I buy any more...unless I need some specialized bits..err..drills in the future.

Since I did a lot of shift kits and other tedious work in the past I have a bunch of tiny drills sorted out in sandwich bags.

For anyone that has had to do a lot of drilling into hardened steel...or a quantity of mild steel for that matter...HSS just will not cut it...no pun intended...I got a few carbide bits in the past and they will save a lot of time and frustration...just hold the drill straight...they don't take too kindly to wobble.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someday I want to go back through this thread and count how many times we have completely derailed. I don't mind, it's all good fun, but I'm genuinely curious!

Back to the topic at hand... After work today I whipped out the sleeves/spacers for the 1/2" bolts. Found some thick wall pipe, definitely thicker than I need but that's better than the alternative. I'm hoping my length is correct, I'm pretty sure I needed 2.5" from the frame to the outside of the box plate. So I just subtracted the 3/16 thickness of the plate and went to town. I'm just going off memory but it's easy enough to take a little more off if I have to.

There's something almost therapeutic about not having to be picky on tolerances, but they look pretty close to me!

You must be registered for see images attach

The pipe is probably 3/16 or 1/4 wall. I just eyeballed a weld prep on the end of them. Once I get everything lined up where it needs to sit and can get the holes drilled where they need to be I'll just bolt these to the plates and weld them in.

Still have to make the 5/8 spacers but the length is a little more tricky on those so I'll have to get some measurements.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone that has had to do a lot of drilling into hardened steel...or a quantity of mild steel for that matter...HSS just will not cut it...no pun intended...I got a few carbide bits in the past and they will save a lot of time and frustration...just hold the drill straight...they don't take too kindly to wobble.

I've heard horror stories of them shattering. I can't hold a drill bit turnerer straight enough for them but I wouldn't be afraid to run them in my drill press!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But any of y'all might say, "look at that little cow!" And I'd probably correct you by saying, "that's a heifer calf."
I, for one, would understand that completely. I may even ask you if she's a first calf or second calf heifer.
If ya’ll spent the amount of time working on your projects that you spend naming your hole makers
I have one that goes by two names. One is Wesson, the other name is Smith. ;Poke

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someday I want to go back through this thread and count how many times we have completely derailed. I don't mind, it's all good fun, but I'm genuinely curious!

Back to the topic at hand... After work today I whipped out the sleeves/spacers for the 1/2" bolts. Found some thick wall pipe, definitely thicker than I need but that's better than the alternative. I'm hoping my length is correct, I'm pretty sure I needed 2.5" from the frame to the outside of the box plate. So I just subtracted the 3/16 thickness of the plate and went to town. I'm just going off memory but it's easy enough to take a little more off if I have to.

There's something almost therapeutic about not having to be picky on tolerances, but they look pretty close to me!

The pipe is probably 3/16 or 1/4 wall. I just eyeballed a weld prep on the end of them. Once I get everything lined up where it needs to sit and can get the holes drilled where they need to be I'll just bolt these to the plates and weld them in.

Still have to make the 5/8 spacers but the length is a little more tricky on those so I'll have to get some measurements.
Those thingamajigs look fine to me!