"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im my younger days I learned that cheap tools cost $$ and are junk. Spend the bucks and get good to great tools. It will do you more good than you know...

I don't think I'd hesitate as much if I could sharpen them worth a darn! I've tried but I just can't seem to get it right. I think it's my impatience getting the best of me.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downside to those is that once the titanium or cobalt coating is gone, they're basically regular steel drill bits. Sharpening them isn't much of an option.

I had to double check to be sure before replying.

The titanium yes they are coated and once ground are just a regular HSS drill, however the titanium nitride coating should still assist in chip removal during cutting, it just won't really provide the same resistance to wear as they had when new. I have often wondered if the bits are still truly sharp after the plating process.

The cobalt bits are an alloy and can be resharpened without losing their benefits as it's not just a coating but the chemical composition of the metal.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never sharpened a drill but that is my understanding as well with the cobalt drills they are through-and-through the same alloy and not just a coating. That was one reason I said don't grab the titanium.

Also, use cutting fluid! I think you might be already but if not- it's a game changer. I have tap magic(thank you Project Farm!) and I don't know what I ever did without it. Oh yes I do. I TORMENTED, dulled, and trashed many drills and step-bits, not to mention my wallet and my own mental state. LOLcookoo

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never sharpened a drill but that is my understanding as well with the cobalt drills they are through-and-through the same alloy and not just a coating. That was one reason I said don't grab the titanium.

Also, use cutting fluid! I think you might be already but if not- it's a game changer. I have tap magic(thank you Project Farm!) and I don't know what I ever did without it. Oh yes I do. I TORMENTED, dulled, and trashed many drills and step-bits, not to mention my wallet and my own mental state. LOLcookoo

It may be because I'm using cheap bits, but it seems to do WORSE with cutting fluid. Doesn't make sense I know, maybe my bits are all just really dull? Seems to hold the chips in more and cut harder.

I'll have to get some GOOD bits and give it a try and see if it seems the same. I do have a big bottle of tap magic on the shelf.

Really wouldn't surprise me if my whole problem has been junk bits LOL

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
From my experience in drilling out broken bolts on engines, you can never have enough drill lube. WD40, kroil, whatever suits your fancy.
The other key element is don't overheat the bit. Do a few drills, let it cool, rinse and repeat.
Once the tip of the drill bit has blued and dulled, it's done. Trash it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and even the best drills(bits) can't handle to much speed. Metal needs to be slow and steady-- usually whatever the slowest speed your driver(drill) has. But definitely follow the package instructions.
For the record I hate that technically the sharp metal cutting spiral thing is called a drill but colloquially the thing with the motor and chuck is also called a drill. Gah!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my world, the drill has always been the drill, and the bit has always been the bit. The confusion has only come in with the younger generations being too lazy to learn the nomenclature. And especially with the internet. Call it the wrong thing, once, and suddenly the entire world calls it that, and insists that is the correct thing to call it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In my world, the drill has always been the drill, and the bit has always been the bit. The confusion has only come in with the younger generations being too lazy to learn the nomenclature. And especially with the internet. Call it the wrong thing, once, and suddenly the entire world calls it that, and insists that is the correct thing to call it.
I completely agree. Of course with the idiocy that I see online today, maybe they're trying to use only the bit to make a hole. I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is I've always heard them referred to as a drill (or twist drill) in a professional (machine shop) setting. Still could be a "newer" nomenclature thing but I don't know. Guess if I had to satisfy my curiosity I'd have to find an old retired machinist and get his view on it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is I've always heard them referred to as a drill (or twist drill) in a professional (machine shop) setting. Still could be a "newer" nomenclature thing but I don't know. Guess if I had to satisfy my curiosity I'd have to find an old retired machinist and get his view on it.
That's what I was trying to reference, the people most engrossed in the science and use of said tools refer to the twisty bit as a drill. I also grew up calling bits bits, etc, but in the last few years learned that machinists call them drills. It makes sense as the driver doesn't do one tiny bit of drilling, it just drives the drill.

First world problems! :rotflmao

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you drill the hole with the bit or the drill? Or do you bit the drill to make the hole? Should you drill the whole bit?
Or just a bit of the whole?
If you drill with a bit the whole hole, is WD-40 nessicery or is this another opportunity to use waste oil? Is "drill" a verb or noun? And can it be powered by an alternative fuel?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you drill the hole with the bit or the drill? Or do you bit the drill to make the hole? Should you drill the whole bit?
Or just a bit of the whole?
If you drill with a bit the whole hole, is WD-40 nessicery or is this another opportunity to use waste oil? Is "drill" a verb or noun? And can it be powered by an alternative fuel?

Go away, my head hurts now LOL