"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those type bushings are always a pain in the ars. I almost asked a couple days ago if you were planning to replace them.

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those type bushings are always a pain in the ars. I almost asked a couple days ago if you were planning to replace them.

James

Yeah. I probably should have removed them before painting but honestly I just didn't feel like it. I struggle enough staying motivated that it wasn't worth procrastinating LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't tell the boss! Care package from Mr. Mathis is here!

You must be registered for see images attach

Had a friend of mine turn me up some rollers so I can build a tube straightener. I think they turned out beautifully!

This is what two coats of the black cosmoline looks like on the frame. I'm very happy with it, it's exactly what I was hoping for!

The leaf spring hardware and the center pins showed up today. I have a few other things to finish up before I can get the springs put in though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally I bought two rolls of this stuff

The plan was to use it between the leaves. I don't think the leaves on Tank have provisions for the tip pads. Having used the tip pads on these springs I didn't dare use this material in just the center where the old steel spacers were. I didn't like the thought of the plastic having the ability to flex as the springs flex. My fear was the plastic would eventually push out and allow slack in the leaf pack. Might have been paranoia but still, better having one less thing to worry about. I DID use it in the one spring that did not have tip pads. Having the load spread out along the whole leaf doesn't concern me as much as having just a concentrated load in the center.

This is what the old "isolators" in the center looked like. These are by far the worst two but still, they needed replaced with SOMETHING. I believe these two were likely between the springs with no tip isolators, as they would have had more load on them. The rest of the old ones weren't destroyed on the ends like these ones, just rusty.

So I asked the guys at work if they could cut me some more.....

Sorry for the fuzzy blurry picture. Made from 16ga Galvanneal sheet. I hit them quickly with some etching primer and flat black rustoleum.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought a little bit but they're in! Brand new poly bushings and bolts as well.

I went back over the center pin and any spots that looked abraded with some more flat black rustoleum. Just wanted to give them some kind of protection from the elements. I think I will have to grind down the center pin a little bit more before putting the overloads on. For future reference the center pins are 7/16 and 4" long pins are fine for this particular size pack. I bought the 6" just to be safe. You'd have to cut excess off either way but I think the 4" pins were slightly cheaper.

I may have to order another pack of M14 bolts for the rear and replace these. The place I bought these didn't have 130mm like stock and only had 140mm. They're a little too long and it might be an issue. The threads end very close to where the nut needs to go. I might just cut the ends off and run an extra washer, but I don't really want to because in my head an extra washer isn't the "correct" way to do it. Even though it won't make any difference.....

Please ignore the runs from the cosmoline LOL I didn't coat the back yet because it was too close to the ground and some of it was laying in the grass!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 Filter do flow well.. I think I’ve read in on a 6.0 they are good for over 500 horse before they are a restriction. The element last a really long time…. And filters very well. One think most don’t realize is the drivers side battery tray also has the mount for the filter on it. On a 6.0 the filter mounts between the engine and battery, just behind the core support….. I do have pictures somewhere do a 6.0 filter setup…
I am very interested in seeing these pictures, kinda want to use a 6.0 filter instead of the Hypermax adapter for the stock intake.

Im aware of the high cost of the element, and that I damn sure don’t need a bigger intake on a stock Hypermax 7.3

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Temporary rear axle is in! She's a roller!

It will eventually get the rear end that is currently under Tank unless I go through this axle and determine it's in better shape. As of right now there's something wrong. One of the wheels locks up. Might be in the brakes I don't know. I'll figure it out later.

I already went through the axle currently under Tank so everything is new. That said the old bearings had spun so if this housing is in better shape I may use this one and just go through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.