Scored this today...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny right there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not very funny when you can lose a motor due to a faulty cowl seal letting rainwater pool on the air cleaner lid and draining down into the back two cylinders if parked flat. I have see too many IDI's die a cruel death due to a leaky $50 cowl seal. my cheapass solution is to put a floormat over the air cleaner lid and there is no more worries.
who's laughing now?

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you brought the cylinder to TDC and measure the height of it you can find out real quick if you have a bent rod.

pafixitman

Reaction score
not very funny when you can lose a motor due to a faulty cowl seal letting rainwater pool on the air cleaner lid and draining down into the back two cylinders if parked flat. I have see too many IDI's die a cruel death due to a leaky $50 cowl seal. my cheapass solution is to put a floormat over the air cleaner lid and there is no more worries.
who's laughing now?

You drown the front two if parked nose down...ask me how I know.

To the OP, it appears to be rain water to me and I think tow kitty hit the nail on the head with why and how it got there.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin - That's exactly what I was thinking. However there are no obvious signs of a leak. The cowl seal honestly looks like it's in decent condition. I'm pretty sure the PO said this happened over night, during the winter, so that would make sense.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is what happened. Now I'm just worried about a bent rod. I'm trying to get this thing running on the cheap , but the shop did say they would tear it down, inspect, re-ring, bearings, re-assemble for $1100... Might have to go that route, but it would have to be down for awhile. Don't have the monies.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is what happened. Now I'm just worried about a bent rod. I'm trying to get this thing running on the cheap , but the shop did say they would tear it down, inspect, re-ring, bearings, re-assemble for $1100... Might have to go that route, but it would have to be down for awhile. Don't have the monies.
clean out the water. lube the **** out of the cyls with ATF and slowly bar it over. if you have a bent rod, the piston TDC will be obvious.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok , I lubed them up and rotated it a few times. Nothing is jumping out at me as unusual. They all seem to hit tdc at the same position. This rust spot has me worried though. What, if anything, should I do about it ? Would steel wool be a bad idea?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt. I tried that once and finally got tired of it and gave up. I put a wire wheel on a drill and used that. It may not be the best way, but it worked a lot faster.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clean it and run it. It may smoke a little, but I bet you wont notice it. I did a 455 olds that someone spilled a pepsi in it and the ditch in the cylinder was considerable, about an inch up from ring travel bottom, its been 15 yrs and its still going strong, no smoke.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Homelessduck - this is the thread chaser I used before I installed the ARP studs. It is a cleaner and not a cutter. If you want it I will ship to you for $20 and throw in a couple of packs of ARP torque lube for lubing the head bolts when tightening them down. You helped me out with an oil cooler last year so let me know if you need this thread chaser and it will be on its way.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Homelessduck - this is the thread chaser I used before I installed the ARP studs. It is a cleaner and not a cutter. If you want it I will ship to you for $20 and throw in a couple of packs of ARP torque lube for lubing the head bolts when tightening them down. You helped me out with an oil cooler last year so let me know if you need this thread chaser and it will be on its way.
I really appreciate that ! What's your paypal? :Thumbs Up

Russ - I think I will do that. If it ends up having issues I will only be out about $200 for gaskets. If it works it will save me $1100 :D I'll try steel wool, definitely wouldn't feel comfortable hitting it with a wire wheel lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online