Scored this today...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The machine shop said the head was good. They said one fire ring was a little fuzzy and asked if I wanted it surfaced. What do you guys think? It seems like I've read that you have to be really careful surfacing these but I can't remember why.

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I don't know the specs, but because these have relatively high compression, any more than a couple thousandths will result in the pistons being too close to the valves. They should be able to surface them without taking more than 0.003" off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the tap, you could just cut the end off, put a bit of chamfer on the first thread, and voila, a bottoming tap.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked the head up from the machine shop today. I had them resurface it. Working on pulling the engine now, then I'll drop the other head off and have it checked out too. @sjwelds thats a good idea. I'll just cut the lower part of it off :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont use a tap, cut some slots in an old head bolt and use that. a tap may cut deeper making the threads loose, and for all those that have done it with no issues, I dont want to hear it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on pulling the engine today. Had to stop and snap a picture of how clean this thing is. I'm REALLY hoping no rods were bent from hydrolocking. He said it happened over night, so that's better.. but i know these starters have some torque.
You must be registered for see images attach

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is out. Dropping other head off at machine shop tomorrow. When I disconnected the coolant heater hose I found this... Completely plugged.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont use a tap, cut some slots in an old head bolt and use that. a tap may cut deeper making the threads loose, and for all those that have done it with no issues, I dont want to hear it.
Good point, thanks

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo, found this under the other head. Back cylinder had water in it. Definitely not coolant , so thinking rain water. Whatcha guys think ?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also- Aside from tearing the block down, is there any way to tell if a rod is bent?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Place it on paper and draw the outline, then flip the rod and place it over the drawing and see if it matches. Rods do not bend .005 inches, more like a quarter of and inch or more. It is usually obvious.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really didn't want to get that deep.. lol.I don't have a clean place to do a complete rebuild right now, and that is what would happen once my ocd kicked in haha. I think I'm going to just toss it together and cross my fingers.