Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stout wood bed (ie oak) made right can help stiffen the frame. You want your suspension to flex, not the poor frame!

Think of how plywood stiffens 2x4 construction. Factory bed does the same to a degree.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and I'm guessing your 06 frame is probably a fair amount stouter, twist-wise, than the 91 era frame would have been. Just tossing that out there....

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have read that too, SD frames are much stiffer than the old ones. We shall see! Dec 20th is still goal to have it firing and be able to drive it. it ownt be complete but enough I can ove it to my new house.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some good progrss this weekend. got the 06 booster hung, need to shorten the pushrod as it puts the pedal way too high. Im actually gogint o extend my brake and clyutch pedal down more since theyre too high off the floor. I pushed the seat abotu 4" back and angled it back some so i can atually fit compofortably in the truck now. I sit about mod travel, my buddy fits well at the closest setting, and I got tons of space at the full back setting (can easily extend my legs all the way forward).
Finished the rear fuel tank holder. its very beefy. Drilling the mounting holes for it tomorrow. ill get a pic up tomorrow. got the doors and fenders all mounted, cab is bolted down. front brakes are on, so just brake lines and fuel lines leff. Got the front end mocked up and know how to mock it up. The downpipe will take some time and lots of compound bends in it.

I was going to use the 06 steering column sinc eit accepts the 06 steering shaft. owever it sit terribly. so we cut it, and grafted it to the 91 column. it has a thick solid stock in between the two tubes welded together. so it retains the 06 rag joint and the slip spline, and does away with the silly plastic bushing the obs relied on.

tomorrow when its light out ill get a pic iwth the doors and fenders mounted. It looks...like a truck again!. stil tons left to do but the dream of driving it the 7 miles to my new house on dec 20th may just be a reality.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. That's a fuel tank support. Ready the IED's? I here they are a real problem in Michigan. :D

Looks great. I think you can get enough together to move under its own power. Just need fuel and brakes. Just leave the manifolds uncapped and go NA if you have to. :D

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're not following the industry trend of light-weighting the truck. :rotflmao

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol nope, BUT its still goign to weigh less than an 06 im sure! (sort of..sure)..

Im going to route the brake and fuel lines next sat morning when its daylight outside, get some other stuff done over this following week.

flatbed is pulled back so i cna paint tjhe back of it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you doing for brake lines? I thought I had decided to do my own but caught myself looking at pre-bent again the other day. I like the idea of the copper-nickel stuff.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah copper nickle here. will do em next saturday so i get full daylight.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Let me know how idiot proof the flaring is. That's what scares me. I can bend tubing.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I double flared all mine from start to finish. I found that the less you compress the second bend the better they seal...Get it done, but don't over tighten it. Make sure you get a good chamfer tool.

Paul

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first photo with the tent behind it makes me think a canvas cover over the bed (ie old deuce and a half) would look pretty damn snazzy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the main trick for double flaring is the tool you're using!
the clamp and the dye are the most important part.
also the prep work on the tube.
make sure you have a straight cut, and properly debured/chamfered.
ive spent over 200 bucks in benders and a double flaring kit.
its effortless, and done right the first time, everytime

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first photo with the tent behind it makes me think a canvas cover over the bed (ie old deuce and a half) would look pretty damn snazzy

that got me thinking..if I had a littel rail along the outer C channel that you coudl slide the cover all teh way forward for easy access and loading, like the big rigs have with the soft covered flatbeds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online