Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the street manners of the Detroit like? How about icy roads?

Looks like it works well!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Street manners in wet and dry are fine. only notice it when trying to do a full lock reverse maneuver, will lock and lock quickly and jerks the truck around a bit. And if you try to lay into the fuel hard aroudn a corner it will start chirping the tire.

i only had it out 1 day when i t was getting icy on the road, coming down a slight grade i was letting the engine do the braking and i could start to feel the rear end starting to come out to the right a bit, clutched in and just eased onto the brakes afterward and it was ok. stopped and went into 4x4.

this was to to be expected per all the readind i did a bout them. So easy to mitigate with a manual, may be a little hairy with an auto (unless you shift it into neutral).

Usually in icy conditions like that I am in 4x4 except this time.

Overall very happy with it, the tractions is always there when you need it. definityl crawls very nicely, and had to back a trailer up a slicker driveway, felt em both lock up and it putted up nicely.

THat being said, i still want a selectable locker for the front. just no weight on the back so alot of times just locked 2wd aint enough. tried to go up a very steep muddy bank and felt the rear slip and only 1 front started spinning and couldnt make it up.
Im sure with all4 locked it would walked up no problem ;)

Was thinking of doing the true trac ip front but..i think should just do it big and get selectable.

Figor

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but thought I had mention a website with tons of Cummins swaps. It's called 4btswaps. I'm sure you must know about it but in the odd chance you don't maybe check it out. Good info there.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super old thread but figure id drop a quick line,

Truck has been running great, I love the torque curve of the cummins. Dont know how many miles I have on it but I drive it 3x a week at least 50 miles to work and back. Shell cruise 85 like butter.

I had a timken wheel bearing going out, just after 1.2 years, replaced with a cheapt detrot axle whch just gave out 7 months later, so putting another timken in, chalking the first one up to be a fluke. The other timken on the other side has been fine for 4+ years now.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good to see an update. This was one of my favorite builds. You did so much work, glad it is still working for you.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost a year since last update.
Nothing new to report, she chugs along as good as ever! Still drive it at least 3 times a week.
Theyres an offroad park opening 4 miles from my house, shell get some abuse there on the regular.

I did add another oil burner to the fleet,
8.3 6cta cummins in an 89 monaco crown royale 36' motorhome.
Nice engine, runs great, smokes on cold start..meh im used to it with mine.
No lockup in 1st and 2nd makes it a dog there, but once in 3rd and locked up she pulls just fine.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks still purring along. Put new to me injectors in it. Most of the blue haze at start up is gone. Old injectors had about 450k miles these ones have 300k on em :D. Full set of brakes in November.
I mounted my 12k winch up front over the winter..maybe next year ill get around to wiring it up.
I still drive the truck 1, 2 times a week to work or a dump run. Tires are getting old and worn down so new 37s will be up for order eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online