Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Glad to see its all coming together, can't wait to see the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one thing I am super excited for the the much needed lower 1st and reverse gears of the NV4500 vs the close ratio ZF5 that came out.
with 3.73 gears and 37s 1st in high range was too tall, and reverse even in low was still too tall. This will be very nice, and the OD of the NV4500 will also drop me an extra 100 rpm at 70 mph :D

ZF5 Close Ratio
1st-4.14
2nd-2.37
3rd-1.42
4th-1.00
5th-0.77
R-3.79

NV4500

1st-5.61
2-3.04
3-1.67
4-1.0
5-0.75
R-5.61

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just buttoning things up. nothing very interesting to show. Driveshaft is at 6-9/16" working length . stock shifter location is useable, but will modify it to have it higher and closer to the left so I dont bonk my dogs head when shifting.

also the lcutch is ridiculously light. The stock dodge clutch in the dodge truck felt very easy compared to the IDI Luk, my clutch pedal in my truck is approx 4" longer than stock, and i have the luk sintered ceramic in this one..feels almost like its not there. I bench bled the whole assembly pretty well...well see how it behaves once i fire the truck up...this wednesday!
You must be registered for see images attach

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
just buttoning things up. nothing very interesting to show. Driveshaft is at 6-9/16" working length . stock shifter location is useable, but will modify it to have it higher and closer to the left so I dont bonk my dogs head when shifting.

also the lcutch is ridiculously light. The stock dodge clutch in the dodge truck felt very easy compared to the IDI Luk, my clutch pedal in my truck is approx 4" longer than stock, and i have the luk sintered ceramic in this one..feels almost like its not there. I bench bled the whole assembly pretty well...well see how it behaves once i fire the truck up...this wednesday!

Glad it came together nicely, can't wait for Wednesday!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here she is running. Been driving it around since the weekend, love it!.
Small things here and there, finish the wiring, run wsher pump, hook up grid heaters.
Thing smokes blue on cold start till it gets warm though. Not sure what it is exactly.
Going to check valve lash soon, and do a diesel purge clean on it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Here she is running. Been driving it around since the weekend, love it!.
Small things here and there, finish the wiring, run wsher pump, hook up grid heaters.
Thing smokes blue on cold start till it gets warm though. Not sure what it is exactly.
Going to check valve lash soon, and do a diesel purge clean on it.

I am jealous!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you "bark" the throttle a little, I got a smile on my face! Love the in-line six sound.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couple of pics. Enjoying driving it very much. even at 10F lights off no problem with no grid heaters. smokes blue real bad on cold start, fine when cold. Thinking its injectors, they are most likely original. Also sprung a leak at the fuel fitler head banjo fittings, but got new seals on the way.
Oddly enough when I ran diesel purge through it in a closed loop, and cold. no smoke. Once i switched back to regular diesel, it was back to blue smoke...

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
couple of pics. Enjoying driving it very much. even at 10F lights off no problem with no grid heaters. smokes blue real bad on cold start, fine when cold. Thinking its injectors, they are most likely original. Also sprung a leak at the fuel fitler head banjo fittings, but got new seals on the way.
Oddly enough when I ran diesel purge through it in a closed loop, and cold. no smoke. Once i switched back to regular diesel, it was back to blue smoke...

I wish I could give 100 likes! One day I hope I can do the same.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins appears to fit better than factory engine, less clutter.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely, especially using the dodge entire front end accessories, shroud and overflow bottles. They fit in perfectly beside the engine right by the battery trays, so the bulky awkward ford coolant and washer stuff is gone off the fender.
Can access the vacuum and PS pump from underneath very easy when the bumper isnt on too.
In the spring I will clean up teh wring, loom and route everything nicely.
today, replaing banjo bolt washers on filter head, tomorrow or monday new injecetors

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little codl start video. Finally got around to adding a cable to the grid heater. It start frigging instantly now.

the stiff engine mounts really bring the vibrations into the cabin at idle though.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got new injectors for it thinking that woudl help the blue smoke on start, unfortunately those injectors leaked like a ****** from the flae nut fitting, sent em back and ultra sonic cleaned my injectors. Still blue smoke on cold start.
Replacing the OFV on friday, the lift pump developed a leak (frig, $80 for a new one), if that dont fix it then I am still fairly certain the timing is retarded..it is very very quiet on cold start..I know these things are supposed to sound extremely loud and cackly on cold start. Will check that next wekk.

Also this arrived :D finally pulled the trigger on a detroit locker. Then...the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.