Project Rewbrooks

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been awhile posting. I have repaired several fuel, oil, trans cooler and coolant leaks. I am now having boost problems. I believe intercooler piping, boots and clamps to be the issue. I have replaced most of the clamps. But, there is oil on the intercooler pipes. Also, installed CDD intake hat for better pipe angle.

You must be registered for see images attach

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resent towing my 32’ RV, 10k, on mostly flat roads in northeast Texas, my gauge reading:
Coolant 195 - 218
Trans coolants 130 - 152
Boost under load 1 - 4
EGTS cruising 700 - 1000, under load 1000 - 1200 letting off throttle at 1200
Oil pressure 28 - 30’s highway cruising
Note, I have the TowMax gauges.
Any concerns with these readings?

94bluebeast

Reaction score
I’ll let others chime in on the specific readings you listed, but how is the power difference when towing under load vs. previous to all the upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That intake hat looks right at place in there, wish it would have worked out for y’all to come down for the IDI roundup, I would really like to eliminate some of those boots now I that I have better options for welding the aluminum piping, if you ever have some time to drop the truck off let me know! Those clamps all look tight, but looks like there’s still some boost leaking with those oil stains, if you’re going to have some time this weekend I can ship you my boost tester so you narrow down the source of the problem, 1-4 psi is no good. It was making 13 psi with egts below 1100 when I last saw it, does it look like the intercooler is leaking around the plastic tanks?

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That intake hat looks right at place in there, wish it would have worked out for y’all to come down for the IDI roundup, I would really like to eliminate some of those boots now I that I have better options for welding the aluminum piping, if you ever have some time to drop the truck off let me know! Those clamps all look tight, but looks like there’s still some boost leaking with those oil stains, if you’re going to have some time this weekend I can ship you my boost tester so you narrow down the source of the problem, 1-4 psi is no good. It was making 13 psi with egts below 1100 when I last saw it, does it look like the intercooler is leaking around the plastic tanks?

Would I see oil at the ic tanks like on the pipes?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, those 6.0 intercoolers were kinda notorious for cracking around the plastic tanks, you should see oil around the ends of the intercooler or getting blown around the core support from the fan, that’s a pretty drastic boost drop from 13psi where it was before so I’m thinking there’s got to be a pretty good sized leak somewhere for it to be that low but maybe the boost gauge is just reading off, how was the go power when pulling?

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of power pulling at 65 to 70 mph. Truck is running smoothly. Pretty sure issue is the intercooler leaks. I need a couple more better clamps to replace the hose clamps. And I will check the 6.0 intercooler for leaks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of power pulling at 65 to 70 mph. Truck is running smoothly. Pretty sure issue is the intercooler leaks. I need a couple more better clamps to replace the hose clamps. And I will check the 6.0 intercooler for leaks.
It’s possible it’s just the gauge then, with only 1psi of boost you’re hardly much better off than na, which I think would struggle with your trailer. If you want text me a grocery list and I’ll send you any clamps and couplers you need, the constant tension t clamps I’ve been using lately have been pretty bullet proof, they tighten against an internal spring that keep the nuts from backing off and getting loose.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s possible it’s just the gauge then, with only 1psi of boost you’re hardly much better off than na, which I think would struggle with your trailer. If you want text me a grocery list and I’ll send you any clamps and couplers you need, the constant tension t clamps I’ve been using lately have been pretty bullet proof, they tighten against an internal spring that keep the nuts from backing off and getting loose.

Trust me, an NA idi struggles pulling 10k:eek:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to see my favorite big red obs yesterday, good to see the truck back and to catch up with Rick. Made some major advances yesterday, found the wastegate arm had popped off and the intake hat gasket wasn’t sitting super square so after some adjusting truck was running great again with barely any smoke under acceleration. I installed one of my feed line kits on his filter head setup so we could have something to check the electric gauge against and eliminate those leaky olives. Truck got an alignment today and should be good for many more trips pulling ricks camper. Wish I had taken some pictures but good to see a project back running better than ever:)

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to update upgrades and maintenance I done in the last few months.
1. Insulated the door, floor and roof.
2. New rubber flooring, removed the carpet.
3. Installed a rear view camera with 7" video monitor, I have three more cameras to install on 30' 5th wheel RV. One on the rear and each side.
there should be no blind spots when completed.
4. Replaced rear axle seals and bearing, passenger side was leaking. I did both sides.
5. New rear breakes at the same time.
6. New tires all around. Hankook AT2 235/85/16 front and ATM 285/75/16 on the rear.
7. All four new shocks, Bilstens 4600.
8. All four front ball joints and adjusting cam.
9. Installed used door panels found at salvage yard. Still need to repair the window switch broken tabs.
10. Installed MaxTow piller and dash gauges: voltage, fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost on the piller and Pyro, water temp and trans temp on the a dash cluster.
11. Replaced A/C system, compressor, evaporature, dryer, oriface tube, flushed and charged. Blowing cold, aleast the wife is happly now.
12. Install a diamond plate tool box and bedrails.
13. Shop replace my E4OD with 215K with a Ford Remanufacture E4OD. What a difference.
14. Offer-Up puchase 2015 Silverado front seat and seat console. I cut most the botton metal off and mounted the Ford seat rails. Not pretty but the mounting holes matched.

I will get some pictures posted when I can. Wes really liked the front seats.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 94 F350 dually so I need to sell the F250. See the above thread for build details.

$12,000
In north Texas near Dallas.

PM me for more information.

Rick Brooks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online