Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I worked on figuring out the intake.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trimmed the straight pipe and used the 45 as is. It's long on one side and short on the leg. Anyway, I'll either stick a boot in there to hold them together or I'll have it welded together when I put the CDR tube in.

Then I rebuilt the pass window motor.

Used the dorman kit. Here it is before dropping the top gear and plate on.

And all assembled.

Seems to work good. First time the pass window has went up on its own since I've owned it.

Cleaned up the wing window and got it in along with fresh window channel. That sucked. Took a couple tries.

Went to put the new window scrapers on and had this problem.

Not sure what to do here but something has to give. I need to trim something but I'm not sure what so any advice is appreciated.

I am short a couple rubber pieces for the top of the door. Have to find those.

More parts coming tomorrow. Should be a big weekend.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This build is really fun to watch come together. Thanks for posting so much. Tip for next time you do window motor rebuild, the door is dimpled for drilling so that you can drill one (or maybe two can't remember) holes in the inner panel and get at all three bolts that bolt the regulator to the motor. By drilling you can unbolt the motor and leave the regulator in place.
It makes that job much easier.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to put the new window scrapers on and had this problem.

Not sure what to do here but something has to give. I need to trim something but I'm not sure what so any advice is appreciated.

I am short a couple rubber pieces for the top of the door. Have to find those.

More parts coming tomorrow. Should be a big weekend.

I ran the window channel down into the door and let the window felts on the outside kinda lay into them? If that makes sense. I didn't trim anything. I wanted the channel the window ran in to be straight up and down with no cuts or pinch points. My joints there are not the most elegant looking joint.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say the felt piece needs to go behind the scrapper.

where did you get them by the way?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would cut the scraper off where it meets the vertical channel. Logic tells me that is is more important to move the window than it is to scrape water off the window.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are precision brand. I think it was an eBay purchase.

I'm thinking I need to trim the outer lip off the window channel but tuck the scraper under the edge so the water runs down over it like a step flashing?? Maybe??

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at some of my other trucks and the scrapper is on the outside of the felt or the felt is tucked under the scrapper.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll make it fit. They are currently trying to occupy the same space and its pinching the window channel shut.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that is why I want to buy the right ones but if I got them from ford it was like $500. I guess I will grab some off ebay or rock auto.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Mine are looking a little rough in the low light with flash but they look like they are cut to fit into each other.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tip to remember on window felts. These are held in place with metal clips, and the little prongs can become bent during installation resulting in the clip dragging on the glass. Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue however it becomes a real issue if the windows are tinted with film. I had mine tinted which requires windows to remain in closed position for at least 24hrs, first trip "down" then "up" damaged the film and required a completel "do-over" of the tint job not to mention correcting the clip issue.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I think I have solved the trim issue.

I trimmed the window channel lip off a little bit and then tucked the scraper under it. It will probably leak but I don't know what else to do. It fits and the window travels nice.

First time the window has gone up on its own since I've owned it.

Broke out the 1/4" rivet gun and put the regulator in permanent.

Put the new door handle on too. Black metal.

Moved on to the other side. Had to fix the frame because both trucks I had were broke in exactly the same spot.

Put in a filler piece and then welded the bracket back on.

Pay close attention to that pic. It will be important later.

Cleaned it all up and painted it. Cleaned the rest of the window frame and got it ready to assemble.

I put it in and discovered my mistake. Not sure how but I put the damn bracket on the window frame backwards. No way I'm cutting it back apart so I drilled a new hole through the door shell. Next the window channel.

Here you can see how I trimmed it.

And with the scraper in.

Not bad.

All closed up.

Dropped the intake pipe off with my Buddy today. He welded the tube on to connect the CDR. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out where to put the catch can where I can get to it. Going to drop the bed on tomorrow and then seal up the cab so I can paint the couple bits that need paint up front. Got all the stuff to charge the AC except maybe missing one hose. I also have to find the drivers side door lock. Have the pass side. No clue where the drivers side went. They were together.

That's all tonight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828