Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been down this road before on protecting the paint. I'm seriously considering a black stripe of bedliner up to the crease to catch the bulk of the rocks. Catch the foot traffic on the rocker too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the nurf bars on after my paint job on chip truck.I didn't like the steps nor their lack of protection.I install the old school running board for a much better step up and no more paint chips.I know most folks don't care for the older styling these days I guess but they work and work well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't take a single picture today. But here's what I did.

Installed coolant overflow and washer tank with modded mount.

Figured out what I need to get the intake pipe back in shape. It won't fit with the coolant tank in place.

Hooked up the headlight harness and worked at tying up wires.

Started into the pass door. Put the door lock in. Put the window channel in. Tested the window motor because I new it had problems. It does. Drilled the rivers out and pulled the regulator. The plastic do-dad's had eaten themselves so I ordered a fresh set for both sides just in case. Pulled the power lock popper out. I think I'm going to delete it for now. It's going to take time for them to get here and I don't want to wait right now.

Rotated the tires. Found another brake line leak. I've had fits getting these stainless lines to seal.

I reset the u-bolts on the pass side rear axle. One was leaning a little.

Think that's about it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you mess around with the door stuff, I think OBS door lock actuators will work and they have a better design. same goes with the window motors, I have found they are faster and quitter.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a set of dorman regulators with motors in my doors. Tired of the old slow ass motors that barely worked. I would highly recommend them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor seems fine. It has been replaced before. For 10$ I popped on the gear replacement. I also ordered the rivet gun. In hind sight, I may just bolt it with lock nuts.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find the rivets super easy to use. I like them better than bolting stuff. I've gotten good at drilling them out and reinstallng. If you do bolt them in get nylon lock nuts so they don't vibrate loose. Typically I'll bolt the window regulator in position with 2 bolts hand tight then put rivets in.

Watch putting new rivets on the power lock actuators in the door jamb. When the rivet pops the gun can jump scratching you're fresh paint. That makes me a sad panda.

Also lube the hell out of the regulator, bottom window track and even the window track weatherstirpping. My windows work a lot better since I did all that.

I think I could benefit from some new switches also, but I'm getting ready to add new rear power windows also so i'm holding off until i figure that out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already scratched the door. Damn door lock retainer got it. [emoji21]

So the sum total of my day today (aside from fighting northern VA traffic both ways) was installing the new to me console latch.

Worked out what I need to charge the AC. Got gauges and a pump but needed some adapters.

Ordered fasteners for the cab lights. Wasn't happy with the ones that came with it.

Ton of work to do. Hoping it's road worthy by the end of the weekend.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ac fittings? Just the R12 to 134 adapters? I typically buy the little 3-pack of universal fittings. Use the ones I need and rest in the bin.

Hoping you make the weekend goal!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gauges I borrowed were not for 134 so I needed adapters for it. But saved me having to buy a full set of gauges and figure out how to make my vacuum pump work. It all went together.

I bought the conversion fittings.

Need to paint the cowl and the air dam. Got to get the cab weathered in. Stupid weather has been crazy here. Can't leavecit set open outside.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it sorted. If you are looking for a set of cheap gages I've had good luck with the Harbor freight gages. I've done a ton of AC with them. Just letting you know.

Good Luck!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so. Ton of parts. Coming today and tomorrow to get ready for the weekend.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Same here with the HF gauge set. Also have the 2 stage vacuum pump. Haven't used it yet though. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online