Project Big Red

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
One of the things I somewhat miss off my truck is my nurf bars. They had a main bar a couple inches below the body and a second hoop that dropped about 8 inches or so below that. I didn't like the looks but my little ones could climb right up them since it was like having 2 steps up the side. Sadly PA salt stole them from me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dug around and found all the parts I need for the overflow and washer tanks. Thank you @junk for the pics. Here's what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's really 3 pieces.

One of which is tied to the battery tray. Luckily I have a roached battery tray to sacrifice because I don't need the battery tray part.

So I welded the two pieces together.

Now I have a one piece bracket. I sand blasted and painted it all up. Be ready to install tomorrow.

My AC compressor came. Just waiting on the Freon then I'll borrow my buddy's gauges and vacuum pump so I can put it together and charge the system.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicking around tire and wheel options. Truck has 285 75 16's on it right now. That's about a 33" tire. They are about half wore out. Fronts were abused by the ttb. The damn thing is really tall. Tire rack wants to sell me a 245 75 16. That's ~30.5". Factory 235 85 16 gives ~32".

I don't want to go too small because it will look funny but wife would be real happy if she sat a couple inches lower. What are you guys running?

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
285/75r16 Toyo at2. Decent but after 25k got noisy. A 265/75 will be as tall as the 235/85 but wider, might be a good compromise without being small looking. Another is the 275/70r16, lots of options though more expensive than the previous sizes.

Tire size calculater is where I like to use for comparing sizes and availability.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
285 75 17's
I built her a step bar, and it has also served as a door ding saver..
seen 4 people to date carelessly fling their door open to not be too happy with the results.
I don't read lips so well, but lots of choice words have been used :D

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not sacrifice on tire size. I have 285 75 17 in the front of my truck. same in the rear just 16'' rims.

you can go to a smaller tire, it might still look ok. just my .02

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the factory 235/85/16 tires on my truck. It's a common size around here so easy to get a hold of. It's also a reasonably priced tire around here.

I run these tires cause I like the tall side wall on them and narrow tread width. I feel the narrow tread width does well on icy roads. VS running a wider tire reducing my PSI onto the ground. I also wonder if the narrower tread pattern helps with fuel mileage.

I've ran a 265/75/16 with out much notice of difference.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Narrower tire has less wind resistance.
I'm also running stock size, but they were free-ish.
I would like a little taller tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are BFG 315-85-16 (I think), around 35" tall. As for wheels, I've always liked factory stock aluminum wheels, and still occasionally look for a nice set. Big advantage they have over other wheel designs is the center cap hides the lug nuts. Every set of chrome lug nuts I've ever had eventually chip, flake, then rust. The factory wheel design eliminates that problem.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want a good set of nuts check out mcgard. they have a lifetime warrantee on the finish.

I am talking about truck lug nuts.LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are BFG 315-85-16 (I think), around 35" tall. As for wheels, I've always liked factory stock aluminum wheels, and still occasionally look for a nice set. Big advantage they have over other wheel designs is the center cap hides the lug nuts. Every set of chrome lug nuts I've ever had eventually chip, flake, then rust. The factory wheel design eliminates that problem.
Wife will never get in that. LOL

I've looked for a set of alcoas local and haven't seen anything decent. Super duty rims are a dime a dozen. Stupid metric pattern.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considered buying a cheap set of factory wheels with damaged clear coat. Re-polish myself then powdercoat with clear???

Also just remembered you have factory fenderwells (no add-on flares), with all that new paint probably best to stick with narrow, very close to stock width to protect paint. Tread pattern also plays a part in not only noise but also the size of projectiles the tire can pickup and hurl at your handy work. The large "chunky" tread patterns look tuff however they usually have poor service life and sound like you have a truck bed full of running chain saws going down the highway.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Go with the Carroll County Bro Country look. You know, some 24" Moto Metal with 14" wide Toyo Open Country. Get AZ ball joints with lifetime warranty so you can replace them every 60 days. LOL