Project Big Red

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He even claims it's not in good shape! The thing looks mint lmao.I wonder what he would call the one that was on my chip truck (back when purchased in pickup form).:D

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Mines better then that. LOL

Tonight I finished up the wires for the brake control.

Here's the tie into the brake switch wire. You want the green one by the way.

And taped down to the floor until I can get the carpet in.

I laid the carpet in and cut the holes for the shifters and around the other bits.

I took a trick from the guy on graveyard cars (Dave, the guy that puts them together). He finds the hole with a pick or awl.

Heats a nail red hot and pokes the hole.

Leaves a really nice clean hole.

Then I pulled the wires up through a hole that will be under the console.

It's not perfect but it's not too bad. I think I'm ready for glass and then inside trim and seats for the last time.... I hope.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've heard that the ABS pulses from the brake switch can cause a controller to pulse the trailer brakes when stopping. Mine had an isolator in it when I bought it so I just fixed the cluster f*** under the dash and used it. My ABS only works with a trailer with brakes connected though. I'm going to wrote on a DPDT switch in to bypass the isolator when there's no trailer connected.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only issue I should have here is back feeding the brakes when the 4 ways are on. Every other truck of this vintage I've had did that so I don't see it as a disaster but I need to dig around in there and figure out where to put the diode. I had looked it up at some point but I don't remember now. I see that as a secondary problem.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I started the night digging out the back seat hardware. Everyone complains about how terrible they are to sit in. I always thought, huh, I sat in mine and it wasn't terrible. Gee, a lift kit would make it down right bearable. Well, turns out....

Mine had the lift kit. When I pulled it I wasn't smart enough to know what I had.

I've cleaned it all up and painted it. It will be ready to install.

In the mean time on to the side glasses.

I'm putting the newer quarter windows in. They do fit but the mounts are slightly different. I picked these up a while ago.

Turns out, they work pretty good.

I used the 3m ribbon seal. I think I'm going to end up redoing the pass window. I don't think I got the sealant quite in the right spot. The drivers side I think is okay.

They look so much better than the old style.

I also picked up a set of black side mirrors. They will match the black step bars and eventual black stripe along the bottom.

I need to get some button head screws to mount them rather than the hex bolts but it they look decent. They may not stay adjusted but they look good setting still. Tomorrow, I hope to put the back glass in and work on the interior getting it finished up. The wild card will be the center console. It will take a little effort.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of progress today. Started out cleaning up and installing the rear window.

Notice there is no place to put the chrome trim??

Thank you bronco graveyard. I even emailed them to check the part numbers. Fail.

Oh well. I'm too deep now. Fits in with the red and black thing I've got going on I guess. Took two tries with the wife helping but got it in.

So I turned to the interior. I hate doing interior. Time to suck it up.

That was the better part of a day between cleaning and fitting and hunting screws. I'm still short some interior screws but it's all together.

Seat lift kit.

I had to go back and find a picture to put this back together. Luckily I had one. I was sweating it. I had most of it figured out but as they say picture is worth a thousand words.

That's about it. Man I'm beat. A truck is finally starting to materialize out of this mess of parts though not a moment too soon.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
off topic but, did you get a new windshield? I see the trim isn't on it yet. maybe it will be getting some black paint? hint hint.

I think it would look good.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll put the trim on after the windshield gets changed out. I'll have that done pretty soon.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been dreading this job, but I dove in head first today. Since I'm using the newer seats with no arm rests, I had to do something for an arm rest. So I thought, lift kit for the center console. Why not?? How hard could it be right??? LOL

Several hours of head scratching and two trips to Home Depot for metal I settled on 4" and came up with this.

Okay. Hmm.

Seems to fit.

Need some mounts. 4" L brackets.

Just need to skin it. I won't post a pic of that mess. It looked terrible. I left a hole in the center to reach in and tighten the bolts down. Wrapped it in the same carpet as the floor. Again, I'm not an interior person. But here is the result.

Most of the ugly will be hidden between the seats.

Arm is in good position but the cup holder is questionable. I think it will be okay but reverse will be sketchy if there's anything in my cup holder.

Another job I've been putting off is a lever to release the passenger seat to get in the back. I knew the wife would have problems reaching up in there and grabbing the linkage. It needed a lever. I have the solution I think but I'll show you details tomorrow. Here's a look at the problem.

That lever is the one for the release. I traded out the lower bolt for a longer one and made a lever that will stick out through the side of the seat. The lever is made but I painted it and it's drying.

And now it's time for bed. [emoji20]

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your really burning the midnight oil now,Mike.How many days until the rally? 3?:D

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cup holders like that in my bronco were always filled with liquids they dont like to hold up large fountain drinks well lol looking excellent though!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up where I left off.

Here is the lever for the seat.

And seat installed.

Probably going to have to trim it. Door closes but I think it will hit the door pocket.

It works.

I checked the travel. Seat won't hit the windshield. Spring is weak enough the seat has to be held forward or it just slides back. Turned out pretty good I think.

On to the next thing. Pulled these out of the filler necks. These were a really stupid idea. No wonder you can't get fuel in these tanks.

This is my solution.

1/2" hose vent to the tank to the neck. I'll cut the hose to length once I set the bed on. Did the front one too.

Bought new bed hardware. Dorman kit for the superdutys.

Looks decent. I think they will work.

Also got battery hold downs.

Need to trim the studs off but it was a quick fix. Not sure I'm going to get lids done but I think that will make it road legal. Still have to do the one under the cab.

Front leaf spring clamps finally done.

Got clamps on all the pipes.

That's a pile of clamps. I painted the core support where I cut through for the core support. Bunch of other little things. Early night tonight relatively speaking.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wowzers looking awesome....love the OBS 1/4 glass looks way better.

Seats awesome and centre console turned out fine.

Keep up killer work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86