Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Cant take credit for the idea but I put a little twist on it for the mounts and wiring from what I've seen. Been waiting a long time for that.

In other news, I warmed up the truck a bit. Far enough for the cold advance to kick off. Oil pressure at high idle is 45. Run it up to 2k and it's up to 50. That's measured before the restrictor on the turbo. At 3k which it may see some, even at full operating temp it's going to be over 45 I think so now I'm not sure what to do on turbo oil. I may leave it as is. I think I've got the bigger restrictor (0.065"). Maybe on the fresh rebuild and oil pump, it's running a little higher than the 45 the turbo calls for at full rpm.

Oh... and on the slow climb in RPM, it blew the IC tubing apart at about 2k.

[emoji15]

I hope I can keep the boots on it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Lots of it. I don't have the clamps on any of it yet either.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Did oil pressure drop at idle when the advance kicked off? If not, then your oil hadn't thinned out yet and you'll probably see marginally lower pressure numbers.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the HPS Stainless T-Bolt Clamps back in January for a radiator replacement. I am very happy with the quality and Amazon has lots of size options. Not sure what clamps you have or were planning but thought I should toss the idea out. It looks really good. Personally I am very impressed and inspired by the level of work and detail you have done. I hope to be in the ranks of quality build threads someday.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was busy. I sprayed Eastwood frame rust stuff everywhere I could get the nozzle. In the quarters, through the rear mount section etc. Cleaned the floor up good and started laying sound deadener.

You must be registered for see images attach

Put the trans pan on and laid the carpet out.

Cut a hole for the shifter to pop out just because. I wanted to make sure it was going to fit.

I think it's going to look pretty decent. Going to be lots of trimming up front.

I may put some more sound deadener across the back. Haven't decided yet. I've got several sheets. May look at Robs data and see where the best bang for the buck is.

That's it. I'm tired.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would insulate every spot you can. It only makes sense to me while your there, in the long run it will be worth it.

there are so many things I wish I took more time and did on my truck when I was first building it in 2012. there are some paint spots that are coming back to haunt me, and I should have taken more time with them but the first plan for my truck was to make it my winter beater.......

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
looks like the sound deadener is laying down pretty nice mike. If you have extra that you dont know what to do with, I'd recommend anything to do with the trans tunnel and the area as close as you can get to the firewall. Seems like that was my biggest return.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underside of hood makes a huge difference. My truck had the factory under hood sound proofing and I removed it because it looked like crap, much louder now. I'm planning to replace.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a couple days fishing, time to make the final push. Final push just because that's what time I have left. LOL

Planning tonight. I've decided to scrub the relay box for the trailer lights. It's a nice to have but not a need to have. These trucks never had anything like that and most trailers have LED lights now so power draw is minimal. Maybe I'll do it later. For now I'm going to pull the wires together into a 6 pole harness and then run wire to the plug in the rear. I'll add the ground to the rear frame somewhere.

I'll pull the wires for the brake control and a spare power wire for other things. Then I'll lay the carpet back down and trim it out.

Working on my road worthy short list so I can get it tagged and inspected.

I also picked up what I hope is the last of my paint supplies to do the bed.

Stay tuned folks. Time to drive this thing to ground.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tonight more wiring. [emoji849]

This is the harness to the brake controller and the harness for the trailer lights. I peeled the the tail light harness apart a while back and inserted a pair of plugs with an eye toward making a T like they used in the taillight harness in the back for trailer lights.

Put it all together and I end up with plugs here to plug in the brake controller from the cab and a 6 pole to run the trailer harness. I'm a few pins short of tying up the complete trailer harness.

Now the real question. What do I do next?

I was all set to do body work this weekend. The more I think about it though, I think the smart play is to finish getting it road worthy so I can get it tagged. I hate to cut corners but honestly, the bed is good enough to pass inspection and the only thing not getting it painted hurts is my pride a little bit. I can put some miles on it and find a camper during June. Anyway, the cab really needs to be weather tight before I do the bed just because I don't really have space to have both in the garage. So best laid plans are falling apart again.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd work on getting it on the road, and move the bed lower on the list. But I totally understand the desire to get the body work 100% first.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with rob. its worth WAY MORE to drive it for a while and work all the bugs out. get the cab 100% done and then worry about the bed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. I see people scrapping beds out there all the time. Makes me sick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online