Project Big Red

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it all looks great. the window seals look fine to me, a hole lot better then the old cracked stuff.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked at another truck today. Scraper went over the channel. Oh well.

Still dealing with weird steering. It's heavy turning left. It doesn't want to return from the right. I took the steering stab off thinking maybe I had a bad shock. Greased everything. One thing I need to check is the toe in. It seems toed quite a bit. Moving or not the wheel effort is still harder to the left. I've bled the box lock to lock. Engine off and on wheels up and down. Nothing seems to be changing. I'm beginning to think I got a bad red head steering box too. [emoji53]I need to see if I can get the tow squared around but I'm thinking it's going to be a steering box change real soon. I still have the one that was in it. Just harder to change now. [emoji21]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far today I got my intake tube back from my buddy. @tadd did a nice job on it for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

And installed.

Now I need to figure out where to put the catch can where I can drain it and then I can get hoses cut and plumb it in.

Went looking for an AC hose in town and of course couldn't find one. Came home and searched Amazon. Low and behold it says I bought one. So now I guess I need to find it and I can put the AC together.

Set the bed back on. I'll get pics later. It pains me greatly to install that nasty bed on my clean truck. [emoji20]

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
... I'm beginning to think I got a bad red head steering box too. [emoji53]I need to see if I can get the tow squared around but I'm thinking it's going to be a steering box change real soon. I still have the one that was in it. Just harder to change now. [emoji21]

sorry to hear this, didn't a lot of you have issues with them on the recent group buy?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One guy had a lot of problems. Went through a couple. Not sure he ever got a good one. For the price that's extremely disappointing. I'm probably out of warranty and it don't have a mile on it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, add me to the list of unhappy red head steering gear customers. Went through everything today and finally concluded it had to be the steering box. Swapped it out for my original and it drives great. Other than a little slop in the wheel now it's like driving a new one. So pissed that the new box is *****. I'll be calling them Monday.

I set the bed on.

It looks like a truck again. All the lights work. That's new. Haven't had tail lights since I brought it home.

The big problem is the under side of the bed is just roached. The supports are rotted bad. I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know if it's worth fixing. I actually caught myself looking at aluminum flat beds. I hate flat beds. But it would be a quick solution. I've got feelers out looking. Maybe I'll bolt it on and go shopping for a bed at the rally. Bed upside down on bed with camper in tow. That would be quite the rig coming down the road.

Anybody east of the Mississippi that has a clean bed or knows of one don't hesitate to let me know.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks, I have been having good luck with mine. They do a good job on the finish also. I hope it is something they can get sorted out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much of a PIA as it is to change with the truck together not sure I want to change it again if this box is serviceable. Might just want my money back.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is too bad.Man the one I put in chip truck is great.My steering was pretty sloppy.When I went around turns I had to kinda over correct to get it to come back in time then turn back a touch before it completed the turn lol.Once I installed the redhead it made the truck feel nice and tight again and took me a few days to stop over correcting in the turns.It made it like brand new again and it's been tight ever since.
Looks like Ive got about 60k miles on it now.Still just as good as the day I installed it.
Log truck could use one too.That trucks steering is pretty sloppy.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to work today so that gave me some time to reflect. How bad is this bed really?? Could it be worse than the cab floor?? Only really one way to know for sure.

Okay. Let's look at this objectively. Clearly I've got at least one bad mount point. The others don't look too horrible. They aren't CA quality but what is out here. Looking at the bed floor, there are probably some pin holes hiding under that scale. The heat shield is toast. What the hell. Where's my grinder?!?!

There. Now what are we dealing with. Looks like I've got to patch both of the middle mount points.

This one is the worst of the two. Might need a touch of work on the inside too.

This one is mainly just what you can see. Realistically, this is in no worse shape than my cab floor. They will both rot out eventually but I should be able to get a few years out of this. I'll give it a good soak in metal ready then a good coat of acid etch primer and some black enamel with hardener and call it a day. I'm not going to waste epoxy primer or Por 15 on it because I can't get it clean enough. So I'm going to go ahead and do that while I've got it turned up on end then I don't have to do that again. I'll fix the fender wells and paint it if I have time but for now it's full steam get it on the road.

Stupid rust.

In other news, the stupid GP controller is the problem. Tonight to start it, I grounded the terminal with the key on and it lit the glow plugs. Counted to 8 and it started pretty easy. Is this something I can get from an international dealer? I have one fairly close.

I'm beginning to think this starter is going to bite the dust so I may change it out before rally time. It was on the parts truck so I have no idea if it's origins.

Had a minor disaster in the form of a crushed jug of used motor oil tonight. There are a few parts under the truck that may not rust. [emoji21]

Anyway. That's where we are now.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bed really isn't that bad. I would through some metal on the holes and clean it up best you can. I know its not ideal for all the other work you have done but it is an easy thing to change latter.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I don't think that bed is hateful for our area. Wheel arches look good. I would repair it and run it. When a pristine one comes along you can consider swapping.

Not sure about the GPC. I ordered mine from Amazon - Diesel RX. Two months of sitting and she fired last night after one cycle of plugs. Looking good. Was talking with Doug yesterday while driving the truck and told him we need to run down and see the progress one day.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably got mine from Amazon or eBay. It's NFG currently. Have to jump the relay to get them to light. Luckily it's in a highly accessible location.

Wheel arches are both rusty but no holes. A trip through the car wash would probably make holes on the Pass side.

I'm gonna give it a quick fix and run it. It will probably last as long as the rest of the body work.

It's just a time thing. In case anyone is wondering the rally is just a little over a month away.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me I'd probably patch that bed up. They make supports and stuff for the bottom I"m pretty sure. I'd also put bed sides on. I think It's going to save a lot of frustration over patch panels.

Now the bed is all post rally stuff.

Truck looks great. Gott to be exciting to be this close to legally driving it. Sorry to hear about your redhead steering box issue. I put a F150 2wd low mile steering box on mine. If you need to look on car-part.com for a low mile steering box. Ranger works to I believe. Figured an f150 box from a 2wd has seen a lot less stress than an f350 diesel one.

Once again Looks great! Glad you're this far along!
-Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online