Our beloved FL1995 oil filter is no longer cheap at Walmart

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mann and Hummel bought wix and some others in May 2016.
They ,MH, have been a high end filter maker for years.
That said the Napa Gold version , FIL 1734, I can still get for 16 ish. We get a big discount on filters through work.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mann and Hummel bought wix and some others in May 2016.
They ,MH, have been a high end filter maker for years.
That said the Napa Gold version , FIL 1734, I can still get for 16 ish. We get a big discount on filters through work.
I have bought a couple return line kits and several fuel filters from you. But once I use up these, I’ll probably switch to Donaldson. This thread has sparked some research on my end and the Donaldson corporation makes a superior product, from what I can tell. I’m not terribly worried about fuel filters, but will be switching to Donaldson next oil change.

Also got return rails from R&D, hoping to be done with return caps and lines. Will see, the rails suck to mess with. But, if they last longer than the caps, by 3.5x, they will be worth it. You’re sellin good stuff though.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Personally, I think I'm gonna use the $5.79 IDI size filter with the paper element from O'Reilly's. MGL51742

For 4000-5000 mile, conventional oil changes, I'm sure it's adequate. I run the cheapest oil; usually Walmart SuperTech.

They do have a synthetic material filter for $11 but I'm not sure it's worth it for conventional oil in an IDI.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$5 extra for 4-5k miles sounds cheap to me.

Course with our vans, running a PS filter leaves plenty of room (no crossmember) and I like the additional capacity and filtering.

But to each their own!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
$5 extra for 4-5k miles sounds cheap to me.

Course with our vans, running a PS filter leaves plenty of room (no crossmember) and I like the additional capacity and filtering.

But to each their own!!

Ford said 5000 mile oil change interval, or 2500 for excessive idling/towing/dusty conditions. So that's what I did with the RV. The oil gets really disgusting, even just 2500 miles, at least in the RV. And that was with an FL1995.

So, I'm not sure I'd go over 5000, regardless of the filter. Maybe if you run full synthetic, but that costs at least twice as much for the oil. So, you don't really save anything.

And I don't drive a ton. 5000 miles over a 1 year period is a lot for me. So, a 12 month/5000 mile OIC (whichever occurs first) is good enough for me.

For $7.50 they have the psd one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...a/5361/automotive-truck-1995-ford-f-350?pos=0

Last edited:

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without full synthetic, oil analysis, and/or bypass filtering, I wouldn’t go over 5k OCI either.

I’m going to do another 3k OCI cause the easy math will get me to 90k miles and then I will switch to 5k OCI’s.

My van uses almost no oil over the course of 5k (used Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-40) my first couple changes that I plan to stick with good oil and filter cause it’s within my budget.

With you being in a warm environment, I think you’re doing just fine ;Sweet

Not that you care about my opinion anyway LOL

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever install a franz bypass filter? I recall it being very popular on the turbo diesel registry site years ago. Most guys had a Cummins and franz filter using one roll of Scott’s TP

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got an older ProSelect filter from Napa (IDI one, not PSD) when it says Proformer online now. ProSelect was made in USA by Wix. New ones are made in Vietnam by ???

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@94turbocrewcab-lb I'll be installing either a Frantz or a vintage Motorguard in my truck as a bypass, I'll write up when I do. I've got both, I like the Motorguard unit more.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I have bought a couple return line kits and several fuel filters from you. But once I use up these, I’ll probably switch to Donaldson. This thread has sparked some research on my end and the Donaldson corporation makes a superior product, from what I can tell. I’m not terribly worried about fuel filters, but will be switching to Donaldson next oil change.

Also got return rails from R&D, hoping to be done with return caps and lines. Will see, the rails suck to mess with. But, if they last longer than the caps, by 3.5x, they will be worth it. You’re sellin good stuff though.
Ive looked at Donaldson filters. They seem to make some massive cans that can fit on our trucks but everything I saw was fairly expensive. What part# are you looking at?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive looked at Donaldson filters. They seem to make some massive cans that can fit on our trucks but everything I saw was fairly expensive. What part# are you looking at?
I bought a case of P559127. I haven't installed any yet. Donaldson's chart says they fit.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Anyone ever install a franz bypass filter? I recall it being very popular on the turbo diesel registry site years ago. Most guys had a Cummins and franz filter using one roll of Scott’s TP
I have 2 Frantz toilet paper filters hooked up on my '90 with '947.3 IDIT, installed inline in series with each other. I tapped into the plug down on the block down by the bellhousing, line up to 1st filter, out into 2nd filter, then from there I returned into my IP front timing cover plate that I made & adapted.

I could never figure out where the return needed to be plumbed into on these engines????So I just fixed my problem.

I also added a .045 Mig welding tip inside the return hose coming out of the 2nd filter to restrict & slow oil flow down.

BTW WalMart & EVERYBODY Everywhere is cheating on toilet paper now days. The rolls are shorter & shorter, tubes are bigger & bigger & won't really fit in the Frantz or MotorGuard or Tripple A filters!!!! (I guess everbody's but gettin smaller & smaller LOL)

Costco.......So far Costco is only place I've found that still carry older sized rolls of toilet paper.....Scott, Kirkland, Marathon brands of toilet paper.

When you go Costco carry your tape measure........Rolls need be 4 1/2-5/8" long & tubes 1 3/8-1 1/2" dia.

Been 2-3 mo since I Costco bought any toilet paper............ & I bought a HOTDOG there too!!! LOL LOL

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a case of P559127. I haven't installed any yet. Donaldson's chart says they fit.
Same as Brian VT. But I haven’t ordered yet. Wound up using Napa one last time, had a filter on the shelf so I decided to use it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a killer deal on E-Bay...$9.89.
But they killed the deal with $22.45 shipping.

What is more important, Price, or micron efficiency?

Here is the Donaldson Blue 99% @ 10 Micron. Though a bit more in cost. Made for the Cat Engines but used on the Power Strokes.

Goat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online

No members online now.