OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine today, looks like the threads are sort of dicked up on the pitman arms side but i think it will be fine. The splines on the shaft side look much better than the reman i got from autozone. The borgeson shaft doesnt have a through bolt but a set screw, not sure how much i like that as if it loosened i could slide off.

Attachments

• 20160411_160536_resized.jpg
    20160411_160536_resized.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160411_160153_resized.jpg
    20160411_160153_resized.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160411_160244_resized.jpg
    20160411_160244_resized.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20160411_160253_resized.jpg
    20160411_160253_resized.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20160411_160545_resized.jpg
    20160411_160545_resized.jpg
    958.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160411_160558_resized.jpg
    20160411_160558_resized.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160411_160608_resized.jpg
    20160411_160608_resized.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 30

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I got mine the other day, but won't have a chance to mess around with it for another week or so. Does it come with instructions on how to align straight and fill/bleed air? I didn't see any instructions on first glance.

Also, does anyone have any clue as to if the Borgeson shaft would fit an E-350. They don't list anything except F series on their site for the shaft.
It should have bleeding instructions with it. If not they are on their website. It is simple.
Fill with Dextron 3. Leave it a little low like just on the stick because mine ran over and made a mess.
Raise front wheels of the ground.
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock 20 times keep an eye on fluid level
Let it sit for min 2 hrs preferable overnight
Check fluid level and have someone start truck and have funnel and fluid ready and add as necessary . DO NOT LET IT GO DRY or you will re- introduce air
Turn wheel lock to lock 20 more times
Top off fluid.
test drive and recheck fluid
There is no alignment. Just bolt it in. The box should be in the center already. Pitman arm has flats on spline. Have wheels straight when you remove it. Put pitman arm on after you install the box and you can't make a mistake. Steering shaft has a flat on it it can only go on one way.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It should have bleeding instructions with it. If not they are on their website. It is simple.
Fill with Dextron 3. Leave it a little low like just on the stick because mine ran over and made a mess.
Raise front wheels of the ground.
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock 20 times keep an eye on fluid level
Let it sit for min 2 hrs preferable overnight
Check fluid level and have someone start truck and have funnel and fluid ready and add as necessary . DO NOT LET IT GO DRY or you will re- introduce air
Turn wheel lock to lock 20 more times
Top off fluid.
test drive and recheck fluid
There is no alignment. Just bolt it in. The box should be in the center already. Pitman arm has flats on spline. Have wheels straight when you remove it. Put pitman arm on after you install the box and you can't make a mistake. Steering shaft has a flat on it it can only go on one way.

Will the power steering pump care if it's got dex 3 in it versus the normal power steering fluid?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go ATF. Especially if running hydroboost.
Wait, I remember @typ4 recommending a fluid. Can't remember what it was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a follow up call from Red Head because I left them a message Monday to make sure I got my order in. I asked him while he was on the phone about fluid recommendations. He said to use DEXTRON 3. He said it handles the heat better and DID NOT recommend power steering fluid, which surprised me, but they are the experts and its easily obtained and cheap.

Here's where Dex 3 comes from further up the thread.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use tractor hydraulic fluid, for powershift and wet brake applications. Just my preference.
Not any of the AW Hyd oils.
On edit, if they want Dex then use it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently am using TDH as well just as @typ4 is....because I have a drum of it here for all the tractors I service.

I would utilize the product the manufqcturer or repair company recomends.

Ford shipped these with Type F trans fluid

Redhead says Dexron....USE DEXRON unless you have them say otherwise IN WRITING!

JM7.3CW

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
In our trucks, PS fluid is not "normal". It had ATF from the factory, and should have had all along.

Vans use a different pump and i've always known it to use power steering fluid not atf. Guess i'll just use the dex3. If it blows up will just have to replace it.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I got mine today, looks like the threads are sort of dicked up on the pitman arms side but i think it will be fine. The splines on the shaft side look much better than the reman i got from autozone. The borgeson shaft doesnt have a through bolt but a set screw, not sure how much i like that as if it loosened i could slide off.

Gotta remmeber they're 19+ years old shafts inside what is a reman steering box. I'm sure some they get back are too messed up, but some dings and pits are still useable. My threads have some pitting inside where the pitman are will be sitting. Where the nut will be they are in good shape.

I'm going to locktite all the Borgeson set screws. I agree with your concern on them backing out and not being a through bolt like the factory one.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread was good timing, today backing up at a sight steering became very hard when turning to the left. It seemed to stay stiff for the 50 miles home. Fluid is good and not foamy, so am thinking the crap autozone box i purchased it on its way out. I doubt a pump going is going to only stiffen one side of my steering. Autozone will only give me another box, wont refund my money (purchased 5 months ago), so i'm out the core i gave them but i'm atleast going to exchange it and mail red head one of their remans for spite haha.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to locktite all the Borgeson set screws. I agree with your concern on them backing out and not being a through bolt like the factory one.
We have a Flaming River shaft in one truck, and the set screws tend to do the same. You'd think they'd stay put with the locknut, but no. Absent-minded me, I keep forgetting to loctite 'em.