OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
This thread was good timing, today backing up at a sight steering became very hard when turning to the left. It seemed to stay stiff for the 50 miles home. Fluid is good and not foamy, so am thinking the crap autozone box i purchased it on its way out. I doubt a pump going is going to only stiffen one side of my steering. Autozone will only give me another box, wont refund my money (purchased 5 months ago), so i'm out the core i gave them but i'm atleast going to exchange it and mail red head one of their remans for spite haha.
When you disconnect pitman arm tie rod jack it up and steer the wheels by hand and see if ball joints are binding.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you disconnect pitman arm tie rod jack it up and steer the wheels by hand and see if ball joints are binding.

Hmm i'll check that. I did order new tie rods/innner outter/draglink? and ball joints as well as wheel bearings and new front rotors if i end up taking the front end apart. ive had it aligned twice in the past 6 months by two different shops and i myself as well as them checked everythiung out and found no play in anything. i am still getting slight tire wear inside of the tires even though it has positive camber.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta remmeber they're 19+ years old shafts inside what is a reman steering box. I'm sure some they get back are too messed up, but some dings and pits are still useable. My threads have some pitting inside where the pitman are will be sitting. Where the nut will be they are in good shape.

I'm going to locktite all the Borgeson set screws. I agree with your concern on them backing out and not being a through bolt like the factory one.

i was just thinking they would have had a tap or something to go over the thread side that was dinged up at the end. I thinkt he nut is big enough itll cut back through it.

I am planning on using blue locktite on the bolts and nuts. Or should i use red?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Ya, I assume the same thing. In your picture, all I see are dings in the threads themselves, which obviously a tap won't erase, it'll only remove what's in the valley. Are they damaged beyond that?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my core on its way back. Wouldn't quite fit in the medium box. So I reused their packing in a fresh large box. 2.5 gal ziplock bag stuffed with paper towels to catch anything that hadn't drained. $18.75 and it was on its way.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Waystro thats not the boot I Need Ineed the acordian one on the steering shaft close to the firewall. I have been busy and have not been on the computer much in the last week thats why I didnt get back to you sooner

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of what you need? I'll be replacing my steering shaft so if its attached to that you're more than welcome to it

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Waystro thats not the boot I Need Ineed the acordian one on the steering shaft close to the firewall. I have been busy and have not been on the computer much in the last week thats why I didnt get back to you sooner
Man I already sent it send me your PayPal and I'll send it back to you
My 86 does not have that boot up top if I remember correct.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I should have one off my shaft eventually too. If you're still in need in 7-10 days. Actually, better make that 20 at the current pace of my progress :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online