OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did convert to a serp setup. Do I have any other options for a different pump.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Could always go with another C2 pump. Or be a guinea pig for the PSC bracket :D

If you won't, I well eventually. I still have one of the saginaw conversion pumps on Bruiser with the extended shaft and big cast iron bracket that I can through on the Enterprise if the PSC adapter doesn't quite work.

Speaking of, if you can find on of those old Cardone sag pumps that adapt to the C2 bolt pattern, snatched that puppy up!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the C2 is the factory pump correct? the other pump you mentioned it that the pump that GM used?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yes. C2 is the plastic resevoir Ford pump. The saginaw was used by GM, Dodge, AMC and pretty much everyone else. They run higher pressure and don't wine like the C2 pumps. BUT, the C2's will last if they are taken care of and don't have to work hard :D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Yes. C2 is the plastic resevoir Ford pump. The saginaw was used by GM, Dodge, AMC and pretty much everyone else. They run higher pressure and don't wine like the C2 pumps. BUT, the C2's will last if they are taken care of and don't have to work hard :D

Ford used them in the vans :sly

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it there any way to bolt the Saginaw pump to the factory C2 pump bracket? where is a good place to get either pumps?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
For the C2, I'd just hit a parts store, but others may have better leads.

As for the sag swap,

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/?cat=1059

Here is the adapter bracket that I referenced.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/ford-5-0-saginaw-pump-adapter-bracket.html

Your serpentine setup has aluminum brackets, correct? Not sure what would need to be done to fit it, but I think it's a bolt on affair for the flat steel brackets.

Now, it says it doesn't fit your average over the counter ham can, but I don't see a difference between that and the PSC-SP1405 that they reference :dunno

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brackets are aluminum. I have welding capabilities so I could modify it if I had to. What are the benefits to swapping to the sag pump?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm guessing the aluminum bracket would need to be thinned out? Dunno, PSC doesn't specify.

The sag pumps offer quieter operation and more importantly, high pressure. These are the way to go if you ever think you might want to go with hydro assisted steering.

Like I said, I have the no longer produced Cardone conversion pump on Bruiser. It's actually an older AMC pump and resevoir that has had the shaft machined and an extension put on to compensate for the cast iron adapter bracket for Ford's 3 bolt mounting. Spaces the pump farther away from the mounting position, but the modified shaft places the pulley right where it needs to be. I have it setup with a few adapter fittings so I could run a 3/8 NPT hydraulic hose from TSC ($10 versus $20+ for the van line for Ford sag pumps). Would work great if the gear box's output seal wasn't trash LOL

Easiest way to do it would really be to zero in on an E-Series PS pump bracket that had a sag pump. Buy the van line and BOOM, all done.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. if I have time to try the swap I will be posting some pictures so yall can see how it looks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accordimg to PSC when I called they say that there will be some grinding / clearancing of the stock mount...to clear that beloved saginaw box. Custom lines need be aquired too.

It would be awesome to do a saginaw and ram assist at same time :sly:D

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one more question, if I get the sag pump do I need to get one with a remote reservoir or can I get a factory style one from the parts store? I can get the C2 pump from my parts store for $65.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No knowledge on the current PS discussion.

Just wanted to update and say I received $100 core return invoice with $30 discount in the mail yesterday, and the money is in the bank today.

They received box on 5/5 and had invoice back on 5/16. Pretty good turn around, considering several of those days were non-business days.

Thanks again, @jhenegh !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online