OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, maybe i just got lucky. I got my first box from Autozone and it was like that so i went with Red Head

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not cool. Did you warranty the first one because of the same problem? Or was there another problem with it? Hopefully it is a one (or 2) out of million chance because I certainly wouldn't like to know it is common for their boxes to show up bad.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I haven't driven mine yet either, but i have the front off the ground still, and I can clearly see that any little movement in my steering wheel moves the wheels. So I think mine is good... My tie rods are all brand new.

In that first video, is it me or at the end can you see the output shaft moving when the input shaft moves? It looks like it is to me. Are you sure your tie rods are in fact tight?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
That's not cool. Did you warranty the first one because of the same problem? Or was there another problem with it? Hopefully it is a one (or 2) out of million chance because I certainly wouldn't like to know it is common for their boxes to show up bad.

The first one was warrantied because it was loose. Those videos are all from the first one.

I'm trying to get 2 new videos uploaded right now

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have put at least 1,000 miles on mine and the steering is great. I can let go of the wheel and it goes totally straight. There is hardly any loose movement, I mean not like a new car but very tight for a 90s truck. Over all I am happy.

For those who looked at my recent thread you know my whole front end is new.

jhenegh

Reaction score

jhenegh

Reaction score
I must just have some play in my axle. I tried 2 Redhead boxes and tried a Motorcraft STP48 reman box and same results with all of them.

I even replaced the new rubber bushings in the track bar with poly ones and I still have some side-to-side axle movement before steering movement. I can't seem to get it any better than it is so I'm just going to roll with it. Tie rods are all tight.

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Wow... F me, I am so cursed with my van and leaks. So last night, after completing alot of other things, I decided to start her up for the first time in months. This would be the first time to actually have the powersteering pumping with the new gear. So i fill up the reservoir with Dex 3 and start it up, run for a few seconds, then go top up again, do this a couple times until I run out of Dex 3. It was late by now so i decided to finish bleeding the gear in the morning once i got more Dex 3. So anyway, i come out to a big puddle of dex 3 on the floor in the morning. ***. After inspection I assumed I must had just missed with the funnel somehow and spilled it without knowing last night.

Anyway, i get the new fluid, fill it up again, wipe everything down, then turn the wheel back and forth a couple times with the engine off and hear spurting, ***. So i go and look and there is oil just pouring out of the red head gear. What the hell is this? I checked the bolts on the red head top and they're tight. UGHHHHH.

You must be registered for see images attach

From what I've read they're warranty is 12 months. Now to go rent pitman arm puller again and battle the damn steering gear. Damnit!

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hammered mine off when i swapped it from my 2wd to my 4wd truck. Since it was newely attached it game right off with a couple hits to the pitman arm. Probably not too great for the gear box though.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have put almost 8,000 miles on mine with no issues. I just installed one in a customers cheby and it works great so far.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm guessing the leak stems from that RTV you can see hanging out in the photo. I looked back at the pictures when I got it, and it's been that way since I got it. So I don't think anything I did caused it. Don't really see what I could have done, all I did was hook up the lines.