OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one more question, if I get the sag pump do I need to get one with a remote reservoir or can I get a factory style one from the parts store? I can get the C2 pump from my parts store for $65.

Contact PSC with your inquiry if you are serious about the sag pump...they likely have best answers.

Might want dual return too so hydroboost upgrade could be planned.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
PSC states that their bracket only world's with their remote resevoir pump, but I don't see why. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call and ask them why.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
How long does it take to get core charge back? Tracking number says they recieved my gear on Monday this week. No refund yet.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No knowledge on the current PS discussion.

Just wanted to update and say I received $100 core return invoice with $30 discount in the mail yesterday, and the money is in the bank today.

They received box on 5/5 and had invoice back on 5/16. Pretty good turn around, considering several of those days were non-business days.

Thanks again, @jhenegh !

How long does it take to get core charge back? Tracking number says they recieved my gear on Monday this week. No refund yet.

Above is my comment about mine. Took 11 days total to receive refund invoice in mail, 12 total until money was seen in bank. And those days include non-business days, so give it another week or so. Those days are counted from the day they received the gearbox.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright an update on my power steering discussion, I finally talked to PSC and they didn't have much to say for anything that would work on the early 90s trucks besides a full custom setup. they sell a kit for the super duty trucks for around $650.00 :eek: he said you could make that work but you would need all those parts plus maybe some more. so it seems the sag pump will not be getting done, as much as I would love to I can get the C2 pump for $65 at the parts store and it will be done.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Got my refund invoice in the mail today. It was only for $100, they didn't put my extra $30 refund on there. Pain in the butt... I called and she was going to fix it and resend.

I guess i'm just one of those "if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all" people.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a few thousand miles I must say the red head box and borgeson shaft were two of the best things I've done with the truck. I can turn the wheel maybe 3/8 to 1/2" before the wheels respond on the highway. Way better than the 2+ inches before. I found my power steering pump leaking too, causing some air and whining to come in, before pulling it I decided to try some of these reseal stuff I've used my bobcat fan gear box and an old Volvo steering box. 1k miles of running about 1/3 bottle and no more leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re-Seal-Stops-Bottle/dp/B000NVW1LM

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I pulled my steering shaft out tonight and looked it over. Just a little bit of play in the u-joint where it attaches to the steering box but I'm sure amplifies in the steering wheel. Borgeson doesn't make one specifically for the van, but just by piecing the separate pieces they sell on their site I made a new one. Ordered the parts, so will build it and try it out soon.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Okay, what the hell now...?

So i finally last night got the steering gear installed. I confirmed my steering wheel was straight by completely disconnecting it from the gear and it turns three ways one way, three ways the other. I hook it up to the steering gear and can turn it two turns left, then back to center, then two turns right, then back to center. So i know my wheel and steering gear are centered. So now when i put the pitman arm on, it's got basically four key ways, so the pitman arm fits on in four positions, each 90 degrees apart from one another. With the steering box center, my pitman arm won't fit where the wheels are center. It's like 45 degrees off. It'll either fit far left or far right on the alignment. It's like my pitman arm or output shaft on the gear is mis keyed.

I did notice when i took my old gear off that it kinda looked like that was the case but i just assumed the near gear was turned and not centered or something.

So what gives, did they send me the wrong gear, or did they mis rebuild it or something? Or am i just missing something here??? I sent the old gear back obviously already so don't have it to compare against now.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So i found out that ford used two different pitman arms on the vans! I guess thats what the other van guys were talking about in this thread. Redhead guys didnt mention it to me though... I bought a new pitman arm which should solve problem that is keyed 45 degrees off... If anyone finds this in the future the part number is F2UZ-3590-A. The pitman arm i started with which has they keys lined up with the length of the arm is F2UZ-3590-B. I think the B arm has 36 splined but somehow fits on the shaft with 32 splines which is how many the A arm has.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i found out that ford used two different pitman arms on the vans! I guess thats what the other van guys were talking about in this thread. Redhead guys didnt mention it to me though... I bought a new pitman arm which should solve problem that is keyed 45 degrees off... If anyone finds this in the future the part number is F2UZ-3590-A. The pitman arm i started with which has they keys lined up with the length of the arm is F2UZ-3590-B. I think the B arm has 36 splined but somehow fits on the shaft with 32 splines which is how many the A arm has.

May want contact redhead ask if they offer a bit of supports since didnt fit

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Is anybody else's box disappointingly loose?? I've warrantied one already and now this second one has "constantly steering the truck" play in it. Red Head has been great to work with so far, but I've worked with them more than I would have liked to...

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, mine has been perfect, i put 200 miles per day on my truck and it weighs 9,000lbs. I have all new front end components and a borgeson steering shaft.