OFFICIAL Red Head Steering Box Group Buy Thread

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I got my receipt in the mail. $100 core charge plus $30 group buy refunded. Thanks jhenegh for setting this up.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my core off last weekend. Boxed it up and shipped it Tuesday. I added another $50 insurance to cover core because I've had at least two experiences with the Memphis USPS receiving facility damaging/losing parts, so total came to $21.40. According to tracking number, it arrived yesterday. Now just to wait for the core and discount refund.

No rush really, but how long did it take to receive your refund @ironworker40?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took me about a week for them to process and I saw it a couple days later on the card. $130 back. ;Sweet

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Took my core off last weekend. Boxed it up and shipped it Tuesday. I added another $50 insurance to cover core because I've had at least two experiences with the Memphis USPS receiving facility damaging/losing parts, so total came to $21.40. According to tracking number, it arrived yesterday. Now just to wait for the core and discount refund.

No rush really, but how long did it take to receive your refund @ironworker40?
About a week and half but I never checked my credit card statement . Good idea lazerjock.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta say I'm not too pleased with the Borgeson steering shaft. It's high quality, but i collapsed the shaft all the way, and this is how close it was to making to the steering box shaft. I had to actually completely unbolt the u joint inside of at the steering column, put it in a deep as it would go into the ujoint, then unbolt the steering box and slide it on. It fits, but this leaves the steering shaft as non collapsable, and i'm not sure how safe that is in an accident. It wont come loose or off but it is not easy to remove or safe. I used blue loctite on all set screws.

The steering box is excellent though, i cant believe how tight my steering is now, i did upper and lower ball joints, inner outter tie rods, power steering hoes, rotors, and bearings at the same time. I didnt find any failed or loose parts other than the steering box though so i think the only thing that tightened it up was the steering box. I moved the steering lock to lock atleast 100 times when it was up on the lift and couldnt get it to take fluid. I had to actually start it to get it pump fluid and work the air out. I had left it sit for 4 hours today before doing that and it still didnt drain from the reservoir.

Attachments

• 20160507_110332_resized.jpg
    20160507_110332_resized.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 42

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking there are two part numbers that fit and only one you have to cut, but this is only from listening to what others have done. And I'm not sure which is which because I get them mixed up, but I think they are only one number apart.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went back and found where some were talking about it in OBS chat on the ORG. From what I gathered, most cut 4.5" out of the 000981 and for some reason the 000982 works without have to cut; although, it is not specified for the 92-96 truck, but for 97-04.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird. You'd think they'd sell the right unit cut as it should be. As precisely engineered as it is. What a pain, now I gotta pull my steering box and shaft again.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I cut 6" off mine. I just made it match the factory one in collapsed and extended length. 4.5" would've been enough.

I didn't google it before hand, I just did it. I don't imagine I'll have further issues. I just got it together Thursday, will give a fuller report soon

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the instructions that came with it and it didnt mention cutting it. I figured when i paid almost $300 for a part, that would require no extra effort on their part to make the correct length, would come as it should be installed. Sure it's easy enough to cut but i assumed it was designed in that way specifically to prevent it from being able to come loose from the steering box since there isnt a through bolt coupler and just a set screw. I can't imagine there are trucks manufactured that vary 4-6 inches in shaft length.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to get off topic but my power steering pump is starting to leak out from the shaft seal. should I get a reman one from the parts store or is there a better pump around. I have the new box going in soon so if I change the pump it will all be new.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Ah, I'll interject here!

Are you running a serp belt or still on v-belts? I'm curious if the PSC saginaw-to-ford adapter bracket will work with our setups and place the pulley correctly? Then pump replacement would be a one and done with a higher pressure pump (ham can).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron

Members online