new up pipes?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - I had heard that to turbo these trucks, people usually just flip the manifolds around so they are pointing up instead of down and run a pipe up and over to the turbo rather than down around the transmission the way an N/A exhaust works. Is it actually possible to do that or do you have to run underneath the trans?

Up and over instead of under, over and up sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have a picture of this? Did you have to modify the firewall to make it fit?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good way to keep heat over your engine, and to make it all cluttered up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think this would work, at least with a stock style turbo. They are designed with the up pipes coming in from the bottom. If you could get it done, that would be an awfully sharp turn to get the exhaust into the turbo. Also, the driver's side exhaust would exit up at the front of the engine while the passenger's side would exit toward the front. Neither one would tend to be a very good way to get to the turbo at the back of the engine while avoiding accessories. Can you imagine what that would look like? And people seem to think that intercooler piping routing is difficult? I'd call B.S. if someone ever told me that. With a custom mounted turbo, then who knows? It may be possible.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this would work, at least with a stock style turbo.

It might not work at all. I was thinking of fairly stock routing for the passenger side exhaust, and having the drivers side loop over the top of the bell housing and wye in up on top. I have no idea if there is room there to make that happen. I was just reaching up from underneath trying to get the top bolts on the bellhousing on an '89 ZF5, and it's stinking tight up there! If it were possible at all, it would probably require bumping the firewall into the cab several inches.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with all that work youre talking about to run the pipes over the engine, you can do a TT set up:dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
with all that work youre talking about to run the pipes over the engine, you can do a TT set up:dunno

This is what I had in mind when talking about the differences between a stock style set up and a custom one. And, IIRC, you are running custom made manifolds/headers as well. So, once again, this isn't just flipping the stock manifolds over like IPSKI was told about.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that thing is so damn fun, I cant wait for the next round of mods.
got a complete set of gauges, 4 link to install front and rear.
new engine, intercooler, and hopefully after a few grand, a badass fuel system for whatever I wanna throw at it
the engine swap on the SD is to be finished first tho

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's still bigger diameter than the factory up pipe casting!

Thats comparing the largest diameter of the turbine to the smallest diameter of the up pipe. The up pipe is 60mm at its tightest point, the stg3 turbine the factory turbo's use is 56mm at its smallest point and 64mm at its largest diameter. Also, theres much more restriction in a turbine wheel than an open cavity, a 60mm open pipe is going to flow much better than a wheel that is 60mm where air can only flow around the edges of the blades.

Here’s a size comparison:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is your measurement at the point of the up pipe that bends around the back of the block?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it’s here is the tightest point to pick up velocity before going into the turbine.

You can see it widens out significantly where it goes around the back of the cylinder head, about 10mm wider there

But realistically we’re counting pennies here, it was just my point that the factory turbine wheel is the biggest restriction just as Russ mentioned, diameters of the piping is not going to make a seat of the pants difference like a leak free exhaust piping will.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed. and that's the issue im trying to address, all the leaky pipes. and still allow for heat expansion

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yepper, it’s worth noting when I weld the slip joint together I delete the pedestal and run a -10 am line into the oil drain so the piping can expand, but many ways to skin a cat!