Maybe Clutch Switch?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Henry's been a pain to start for about the last week, seems like he just arbitrarily starts when he feels like it. sometimes first try sometimes eighteenth... No rhyme or reason. I just replaced fuel filters a minute ago and noticed that there was no fuel in my clear return line right after the pump, so I turned the ignition on, set the brake, put him in neutral and used a screwdriver to jump the solenoid terminals with the thought in mind of watching the line until I got some fuel in it. Instant start. Scared the hell out of me. I walked to the cab and turned him off, cycled the plugs and tried to start him with the key. No go. Walked back to the solenoid and jumped it again. Instant start. Is this a sign of the clutch switch going out? If it is, can I just unhook it?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it turn over when using the key? It could be the the safety swith or it could be that your columns lose and its not allowing the actuator to fully engage.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, I think I'm seeing a pattern here... The cruise quit working a while back for no discernible reason. I'm gonna jumper them and see what happens.

Reaction score
Walked back to the solenoid and jumped it again. Instant start.

I don't think it's your clutch switch with it cranking over:dunno
It might be a loose wire at your ignition switch. Just my 2 cents.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Curtis,
Care to expand on that a bit? Glowplugs are working fine, fuel solenoid turns on with the key fine, fuel is available just fine, key spins the starter just fine. What am I missing here? All the necessary elements seem to be there... Just doesn't want to start from the key spinning the starter, only jumping the solenoid...

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the clutch switch does is prevent cranking, not prevent fuel from getting to the IP or anything like that. So if your engine cranks with the key your clutch switch is fine.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is the fuel power on the ip is not getting voltage when the key is in the start position every time. Try putting a jumper wire from the battery to the ip then start it with the key and see if it starts fine if that is your problem put it on a toggle or something:dunno

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is the fuel power on the ip is not getting voltage when the key is in the start position every time. Try putting a jumper wire from the battery to the ip then start it with the key and see if it starts fine if that is your problem put it on a toggle or something:dunno

You called it man, that was it. Why does that happen?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
USUALLY YOUR IGNITION SWITCH IS GOING BAD. I KNOW ON THE 85 AND OLDER TRUCKS THERE ARE 4 POSTS ON THE STARTER SOLENOIDS , 2 BIG AND 2 SMALL AND ONE IS THE IGNITION WIRE TO START IT AND THE OTHER YOU COULD HOOK A WIRE TO IT THEN TO YOUR IGNITION AND IT WOULD SEND MAXIMUM VOLTAGE TO IT WHEN YOU ARE CRANKING IT BUT THE NEWER SOLENOIDS DONT DO THAT SO EITHER TRY AN IGNITION SWITCH OR PUT THE OLDER STYLE SOLENOID ON IT. EDIT I AM NOT YELLING . I DIDNT REALIZE THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON sorry