Test for ignition switch and/or neutral safety switch?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of tool are you using to test for continuity..?

If it is just a test light...it is going to be a lot harder to sort it all out...

As far as the wiring jumper you have found...if you don't have cruise control...I would guess that those green wires were to the brake switch for that option...

I'm using a multimeter and checking for continuity.
I believe that the NSS just connects the 2 wires coming from the column when in Park or Neutral.
So...if I test (jump) those 2 wires before the NSS then I am, effectively, bypassing the NSS.
And...I believe testing those 2 wires should show continuity (at least if in Park or Neutral, if not always).

p.s., I do have cruise control.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have to throw in the towel on this and rig up a push-button starter.
I'm really bummed about this as I still don't know if this is going to be my "forever" truck (as I had hoped).
I'd be somewhat okay with it if I'm going to keep it, but it'll be awkward to explain this to a potential buyer if I decide to sell it.
(they'll be thinking, "What other hack-jobs did he do to this truck?")

I feel like I'm so close to fixing it but now I'm stumped. The wire from the plug near the brake booster to the solenoid is good, so the problem is behind there. The column switch seems to test good for continuity in the Start position. I have temporarily jumped the wires to the neutral safety switch on my C6 tranny, so I think it rules that out (but I don't have continuity at those jumped wires). I don't see any factory-bypassed plug under the dash that might be there as a provision for a clutch safety switch for trucks with a manual transmission. I looked at the wiring diagrams in my repair manuals but I have no idea how to read them.
So...I guess it will be button start until I have an epiphany on the matter and figure out how to put it back to normal.
I do appreciate the help you all gave me here. Thank you.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of desparation I checked all my fuses this morning (even though none of them appear to be related to starting). They're all good.
Unless I have another fuse box somewhere other than under the dash?
Then I went back to my repair manual wiring diagrams (which make my head hurt trying to understand).
I hadn't heard any mention of a fusible link in relation to my ignition problem.
Is this something that could be my problem? Where might I find it on my truck?

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86