Clutch hitting safety switch

Sammyskillz

Reaction score
so the previous owner bypassed the clutch safety switch. I installed a new one and I can’t push the pedal down with the new one installed if I take it off I can slide the piece by hand to start the truck.i can feel and see it hitting the new switch. Am I missing something. The old switch was hanging under the dash connected to the harness still. I’ve owned this truck for a couple years and it’s never had a switch attached to the lever. There’s a picture of the old one and the bag from the new one. It will start with the old one plugged back in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8019.jpeg
    IMG_8019.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 9

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you want it to work? After a couple of episodes the past couple of years I am finding I do not like them.

1st episode. I was messing with the rear tank, and it had the broken shower head inside it. I ran out of fuel right in a bad spot on the mountain and it's a busy road that time of day. There was a small break in the guardrail behind me, so I was able to drift down to the break, and then in 1st gear I was able to use the starter to pull the truck off the highway and out of traffic. When I did the zf swap I never hooked the clutch switch up thankfully.

2nd episode. I over revved my Bronco II and the engine would not run after that. Actually the same area of the same mountain. But I was able to pull it off the road and get it home. But I needed to get it off the trailer and in my other garage, which put the trailer slightly uphill. I went to do the starter trick to back it off the trailer, and the BII has a clutch switch so I could not do it. I ended up using one of those underhood starter switches and used that to back it off the trailer with the starter. It was a little touch and go not being in the vehicle operating the brakes, but I got it. It would have been safer if the clutch switch was not hooked up.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need "safety switches" to keep me safe as well. I do habitually push the clutch in when cranking, but there's no switch, It's just from years of tractors and lawnmowers. My butt is glued to the seat as well thanks to seat safety's in lawnmowers.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you want it to work? After a couple of episodes the past couple of years I am finding I do not like them.

1st episode. I was messing with the rear tank, and it had the broken shower head inside it. I ran out of fuel right in a bad spot on the mountain and it's a busy road that time of day. There was a small break in the guardrail behind me, so I was able to drift down to the break, and then in 1st gear I was able to use the starter to pull the truck off the highway and out of traffic. When I did the zf swap I never hooked the clutch switch up thankfully.

2nd episode. I over revved my Bronco II and the engine would not run after that. Actually the same area of the same mountain. But I was able to pull it off the road and get it home. But I needed to get it off the trailer and in my other garage, which put the trailer slightly uphill. I went to do the starter trick to back it off the trailer, and the BII has a clutch switch so I could not do it. I ended up using one of those underhood starter switches and used that to back it off the trailer with the starter. It was a little touch and go not being in the vehicle operating the brakes, but I got it. It would have been safer if the clutch switch was not hooked up.
Stay away from that mountain @franklin2 ! It's tough on a drivetrain.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to drive it everyday to work. What is really bad is I live right near the base on the far side, so every morning whatever vehicle I take, it's a cold start, go down the short driveway, and then a long hard pull on a cold engine till I get to the top. I try to be easy on them but what do you do?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the original thread starter. Here is a picture that shows the switch. The switch in the lower part of the picture is the brake switch, but up in the middle it shows the starter interlock.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to drive it everyday to work. What is really bad is I live right near the base on the far side, so every morning whatever vehicle I take, it's a cold start, go down the short driveway, and then a long hard pull on a cold engine till I get to the top. I try to be easy on them but what do you do?
Uphill both ways through 4ft of snow, barefoot...... gotcha.....lol

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And cannibals..... don't forget the cannibals
Leave it parked along side the road, the cannibals with get to it in no time.

I was under the dash early on when I bought this thing doing something and had to take off that switch. At the time wondered what this goofy thing was, and messed it up getting it off, then figured out what it was.

Now it has a jumper wire on the connector.
You could add a Toggle switch, and use it sort of an anti theft switch.
Been thinking about doing it....still thinkin.

Goat

Last edited:

Sammyskillz

Reaction score

The truck came with it so I’d like it to work. Plus I’m tired of driving from Oklahoma to Washington with out cruise control I do that trip a couple times a year

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The switch gets to be a problem when the pedal linkage is worn out.

I nearly had my leg pinched off between two trucks 25 years ago because a friend had disabled the interlock and it started in gear. I'll keep the safety switch thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86