Test for ignition switch and/or neutral safety switch?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No start situation.
I confirmed good solenoid and good starter. No 12v from ignition to solenoid.
On top of the steering column I can see the actuator rod move when I turn the key to start. I even put pliers on the rod and tried to move the rod further. It woudn't go any further than the key was already pushing it. So I think the rod assembly is ok.
I disconnected the plug at the neutral safety switch on my C6 tranny. The plug has 4 pins. I don't know what's what in there but I prodded around with my multimeter looking for continuity.
On the plug end that comes from the NSS I found 2 pins that have continuity (when in park). They were diagonal from each other. Not sure if I tried all combinations, though.
On the plug end from the column I couldn't find continuity, but I guess I would need to have someone turn the key while I'm prodding the pins?

Anyway, even if I did find continuity or not I wouldn't know what to do from there so I'm hoping you guys have a method of determining if my NSS is bad or if it's something else.

Been messing with the truck all day so I'm gonna take a break and go for a bike ride. See you later on.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Do you have a tilt column?

If I remember right, the interlock wiring is blue with a red stripe. Has to be a closed loop. At least that's the color wire for my trucks. I believe there's a Jumper wire where the clutch safety switch would go on the harness under the dash.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a tilt column.
I don't know how to use the other info. you provided. Any help is appreciated.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a bricknose truck right? If you’re open to it just put it on push button. I’ve had 4? Bricknoses I put each one on push button they all break the same way either in the ignition switch or actuator.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do a button before I tear apart the steering column.
But I don't want to do that if it's just the NSS.

I don't know if it's a bricknose. It's a 1987 F250.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If it's not a tilt column that will mostly exclude the column being the issue

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will do a button before I tear apart the steering column.
But I don't want to do that if it's just the NSS.

I don't know if it's a bricknose. It's a 1987 F250.
That is the first year of the body style known as bricknose. Previous body style, 80-86, are known as bullnose, with 83 being the first year for the 6.9 diesel

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It should start in N with a bad NSS. My F250 has always been that way. beware that it also knocks out the reverse lights if the NSS is bad because they are wired in to the NSS. That's what turns them on/off when in reverse.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thank you. I wiggled the shifter all over and never got a hint of wanting to start.
So I guess I'll be crawling under the dash to try to find, and repair/replace the switch that the ignition rod pushes on?
Or trying to figure out the best way to rig a push button start.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug has 4 pins.
both are simple pass-throughs for two seperate circuits...

One...neutral safety and park position for starting...

Two...reverse lights...

If you want to test it...disconnected from the harness....put the lever in reverse and test for continuity with an ohm meter...there is your pass-through for reverse lights...

Next...put the lever in park and test the other wires for continuity and repeat for neutral...there is your park and neutral safety circuit...

that will get you started...see if you can find a wiring diagram and look at what you just discovered...it will become more clear...

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thank you. I wiggled the shifter all over and never got a hint of wanting to start.
So I guess I'll be crawling under the dash to try to find, and repair/replace the switch that the ignition rod pushes on?
Or trying to figure out the best way to rig a push button start.
Did you check fuses? Not sure if there is a fuse for this in the board under the dash but worth a look see

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I didn’t see a spot in the video that said ignition so maybe not. Although I don’t know what all ties into the automatic transmission

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.