Fast idle/cold advance switch

ludite

Reaction score
Greetings,
I've got an 84 F250 and it seems the temperature switch that controls the high idle/cold advance circuit is shot, it has continuity when cold but really high resistance. I like the idea of having the high idle on a switch in the cab anyways so was considering bypassing the temp switch all together. If I just plug a switch in where the probe used to be that's obviously the easiest but that means that the cold advance will activate anytime I want a fast idle which sometimes will be with the engine at operating temperature, can anyone tell me if that's a bad idea? If it is I will wire the two functions separately.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think that it will hurt anything as long as you don't drive around with that switch on.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
I've got an 84 F250 and it seems the temperature switch that controls the high idle/cold advance circuit is shot, it has continuity when cold but really high resistance. I like the idea of having the high idle on a switch in the cab anyways so was considering bypassing the temp switch all together. If I just plug a switch in where the probe used to be that's obviously the easiest but that means that the cold advance will activate anytime I want a fast idle which sometimes will be with the engine at operating temperature, can anyone tell me if that's a bad idea? If it is I will wire the two functions separately.
I wired mine independently on switches. Only time I use the cold advance is when the temps are down below 15-20 degrees.

James

ludite

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think I might as well be able to switch them separately if for no other reason than for something to play with.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My temperature switch functions just fine but my solenoid has released the ghost.

Does anyone have a source for the solenoid?

Or does anyone just use a block of wood to idle it up :dunno

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know how they compare, but there's several of them for different carburetors listed too.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure with a little fabrication im sure they could have been adapted.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86