Is there a way to make a high idle switch?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guessing running power from a switch to the high idle solenoid on the IP is how it is done? Just want to make sure, I am taking this truck up to Scottsbluff this fall and it will need to be able to withstand starting in very cold temps. I hope to add an ether injection system as a backup if my glowplugs fail...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I did that for a few years, yes just run a switch that powers the fast idle solenoid.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t hurt to park over a pit either, that’s how they built the alcan highway. They parked over pits so they could have a fire under the engine to warm it without burning the truck.

This is a “do not do this at home” idea.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am guessing running power from a switch to the high idle solenoid on the IP is how it is done? Just want to make sure, I am taking this truck up to Scottsbluff this fall and it will need to be able to withstand starting in very cold temps. I hope to add an ether injection system as a backup if my glowplugs fail...
When I put a switch on mine when the temp switch failed, I just found a small cable with two wires in it. Ran the two wires to a toggle switch under the dash, and then unplugged the two wires on the temp switch for this system, and hooked the wires from the toggle switch to the wires going to the original temp switch. This simulates the temp switch and activates the high idle and the cold advance.

I took all this off later, I did not see any advantage to having it hooked up. That was years ago.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's broken on my F250 because I accidentally broke a temp sensor blade connector. Starts and runs fine for me.

SIKPUP

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86