Cold Advance Question

eldomike

Reaction score
I'm assuming the cold advance still operates even if the high idle solenoid doesn't?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
As long as it gets a signal to run, yes.

eldomike

Reaction score
So in the video I posted I show where when the truck started without the high idle engaged it cleared up and ran smooth...when I engaged the high idle it started smoking...could that indicate timing being to low still?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in the video I posted I show where when the truck started without the high idle engaged it cleared up and ran smooth...when I engaged the high idle it started smoking...could that indicate timing being to low still?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
what color smoke?

you need to pull the cold advance terminal and test for 12v.
the temp switches that activate the high idle and cold advance likes to go bad.
esp if youre doing your own wiring with those awful butt connectors

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never saw any advantage to the cold advance working. I do like the high idle working, but since the sensor went bad nether works on my truck. I just hold my foot on the pedal for 30 seconds or so to get it going and then let it go. Seems to work fine without it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never saw any advantage to the cold advance working. I do like the high idle working, but since the sensor went bad nether works on my truck. I just hold my foot on the pedal for 30 seconds or so to get it going and then let it go. Seems to work fine without it.
the best thing about the cold advance, IMO is to know where to time it lol
clatter on cold advance, , rattle when off. perfect baseline

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best thing about the cold advance, IMO is to know where to time it lol
clatter on cold advance, , rattle when off. perfect baseline
True. When my sensor first went bad, I put the system on a manual switch. I could hear the clatter. I started forgetting about it sometimes and actually left the switch on. That's when I took it out and just left it as is. If I saw a big difference I was going to go ahead and spend the $50 for the new sensor, but it wasn't worth it. I do not know how much they are now.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. When my sensor first went bad, I put the system on a manual switch. I could hear the clatter. I started forgetting about it sometimes and actually left the switch on. That's when I took it out and just left it as is. If I saw a big difference I was going to go ahead and spend the $50 for the new sensor, but it wasn't worth it. I do not know how much they are now.
still about $50
just put one in my ranchero

eldomike

Reaction score
Question about the cold start advance switch on the injection pump of my 93 7.3 NA....with it disconnected and the engine started, if I touch a hot wire to the switch it makes no difference at all in the rpms or running condition...shouldn't it?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The cold advance advances injection timing. It won't really change how the engine runs at idle, but advances the timing when reved up, about 99% sure that's all.

eldomike

Reaction score
Can't see how that is...if it advances the timing it would do it at any rpm I would think but maybe I'm missing something

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine on a manual switch, some times it make a noticeable clatter other times you really have to listen close to hear it.

James

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is always noticeable the engine tone changes noticeably but mostly just at idle, if your cruising on the highway you can barely hear it turn off.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Question about the cold start advance switch on the injection pump of my 93 7.3 NA....with it disconnected and the engine started, if I touch a hot wire to the switch it makes no difference at all in the rpms or running condition...shouldn't it?
If I understand your question, you asking if you touch hot wire to it it should rev up? Mine will energize the hi idle switch when touched but have to give a bit of throttle to raise actual RPM while energized.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Idle speed shouldn't change much, but sound will for sure. Solenoid pushes outlet valve open, lowering housing pressure, letting the advance piston move more advanced.