maximum safe engine temp

timmi

Reaction score
At what temperature does the "Engine Temp" light come on?
I forgot to take off my winter cover/radiator cover and temporarily maxed out the temp gauge and the red temp light came on.. One of those "oops, I shoulda known better" things.. Hopefully it didn't cause too much harm..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. If you don't have any leaks, or cracks, then your OK. If you really overheated it, you would know it by now.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was reading the specks for the 7.3 Navistar and read the phrase " Maximum design operating temperature is 245 degrees."

I believe this because my '91 runs at 240 on hot days pulling heavy up grades, for over an hour at a time. I have a mechanical gauge that is 3 degrees low.

i know this is a real old post but can anyone verify this info? if this is the case then my truck pullin 230* with a load isnt unusual. (ive been avoiding 230* and havent gone over that)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the believe that the overtemp switch is set for 242, but that "memory" may not be trustworthy. My personal limit is 230. Specs not withstanding, if I ever saw more than that, I'd take corrective measures to prevent it from climbing further.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
that's been my thought and historically my course of action when temps climb. just wanted an affirmation. thanks mel!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
242 is correct. To test the sender remove the wire going to the large sender in the drivers side head. Ground it and watch the dash gauge peg hot and the "check engine" lite comes on. All this switch does is ground the dash aguge showing you its really hot and really too late for corrective measures....:eek:

jactoy4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the warmer weather we been having and this being the first summer i have owned my IDI. i was almost :puke: the other day when i saw 230 with a bed full of crap climbing a really long really steep hill in 3rd at about 45.

Its good to know these engines can handle that. Ill sleep better knowing im not hurting it when that happens.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came out of portland empty with the ac full on and it was at 210 on a slight hill, normal for this truck, I have seen 240 on the gauge climbing to the campground at crater lake with camper and wrangler on behind. 7 miles, didnt like it but couldnt stop. Never boiled.
The red light never came on but it was close. I am going to lock one of my spare fans solid and see if thast helps, I never hear my fan.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came out of portland empty with the ac full on and it was at 210 on a slight hill, normal for this truck, I have seen 240 on the gauge climbing to the campground at crater lake with camper and wrangler on behind. 7 miles, didnt like it but couldnt stop. Never boiled.
The red light never came on but it was close. I am going to lock one of my spare fans solid and see if thast helps, I never hear my fan.

I saw 250 twice in a 10 mile jaunt with the explorer on the trailer (guessin 6k..)...and it really seemed to spike on long big hills..and gettin off the freeway...

I cant hear my fan either...I think it may be junk...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah something definitely isn't right if you can see 240 let alone 250. Midnight Rider pinned his fan clutch and claims no difference in fuel economy. Other option would be an MS-Tech clutch.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to put that fan on tight. Ask Michael Fowler why. LOL

That engine stops real quick and the fan weighs a lot.....