Max safe sustainable RPM

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you got a great deal!! And your are taking advantage of it unlike me!! Which I admire.

I bought an entire M1031 for $500. But instead of taking advantage and using it as I wanted. I sold it for a $4k profit. I regret that decision everyday!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that most rebuilders set the governor speed to around 3500 RPM. It seems like that's close to where the were from the factory too. It doesn't seem like a good design to have valve springs that can't hold up to 3800 RPM. Gas engines can turn quite a bit more than that. I think where the valve spring problems come into play is with a bigger cam or with running a lot of boost. I've heard that a lot of boost can actually push the valves back open a little bit with stock springs. I can't give any numbers on that though.
Those stories are with High mile valve springs. I always put new springs on with a cam swap or headwork. Most turbo swaps wont be making enough pressure to be a problem.

Ive seen to many broken springs in my career resulting in a dropped valve to fret over 100 bucks for new.
Especially with the comp 910 being an excellent upgrade .

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These engines have really high compression, if a rod were to stretch just a tiny bit it’d probably be game over?
these rods are very tough, they are not going to stretch.
They do bend when repeatedly boosted to 50 lbs. As witnessed when I rode in Justins bronco.
Fun ride.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah 50 lbs is more than I’d ever. 25 is more than plenty, would like to get that kinda boost maximum… hell 20 is enough for me…

After these axles, then intercooler and muffler! Looking forward to that!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah 50 lbs is more than I’d ever. 25 is more than plenty, would like to get that kinda boost maximum… hell 20 is enough for me…

After these axles, then intercooler and muffler! Looking forward to that!
My dually has a stock 7.3 with NA pump. It is making 10 lbs without the fuel turned up, on a used factory turbo, and its night and day different than NA.
It will stay like that till I do up the new engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online