Max safe sustainable RPM

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between 3 work trucks and my 3 personal vehicles, my cruise works fine on all 6 of them. But I NEVER use it, same reason as @IDIBRONCO . I honestly cannot remember using it once in 10 years...maybe once, just for funsies.

Being aware of my speed and adjusting it bit by bit here and there keeps me awake, I get sleepy fairly easily when driving so I need every trick I can get. I'm getting better! After 16 years as a professional driver I can now go 4 hours without getting sleepy for the most part. LOL That's funny...but not a joke. I used to have a 2 hour limit, and even that was a stretch. Thankfully I'm short-trip local, no way I could do line haul.

Floor dimmer switch for the win! I LOVE THEM AHHH

I am a huge fan of cruise control. Helps me to combat leg cramps and gradual slowing of pace.

I’ve made 2 RT’s back home in my ‘91 suburban without cruise. 16 hours minimum 1-way. It’s brutal without CC IMHO.

To combat fatigue, I gawk and build day dreams off what I see LOL . And when that fails, I buy Giant Brand Sunflower Seeds. Kettle Cooked specifically as it has a fraction of the salt and keeps the “shag carpet” tongue from setting in.:rotflmao
"Smith system" driving. The key to staying awake is keeping your eyes moving. The theory about "staying with the pack" is actually dangerous. Let the pack pass, keep a 7-9second following distance, more as road conditions nessesitate. But eye movement, checking your mirrors every 5-7 seconds, head up, that's how you stay awake. The worst thing is to fall into a blank stare and stay with the pack. "Smith system", Henry Ford paid a bunch of money for the study and to have this taught all over America. And might I ad, chill out, take it easy, it'll be there when you get there, just make sure you are. And something I learned a long time ago, nascar drivers sit really close to the steering wheel to combat fatigue, try sitting more upright and closer to the wheel, that really helps too. You literally feel like you can drive forever.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To combat fatigue, I gawk and build day dreams off what I see LOL . And when that fails, I buy Giant Brand Sunflower Seeds. Kettle Cooked specifically as it has a fraction of the salt and keeps the “shag carpet” tongue from setting in.:rotflmao
On trips of 10 hours or more, I do both of these as well...
"Smith system" driving. The key to staying awake is keeping your eyes moving. The theory about "staying with the pack" is actually dangerous. Let the pack pass, keep a 7-9second following distance, more as road conditions nessesitate. But eye movement, checking your mirrors every 5-7 seconds, head up, that's how you stay awake. The worst thing is to fall into a blank stare and stay with the pack. "Smith system", Henry Ford paid a bunch of money for the study and to have this taught all over America. And might I ad, chill out, take it easy, it'll be there when you get there, just make sure you are.
I also prefer to stay out of the larger groups of traffic, but I don't want to be a restriction in the road and wind up with everyone screaming past me. That by itself is dangerous...
And something I learned a long time ago, nascar drivers sit really close to the steering wheel to combat fatigue, try sitting more upright and closer to the wheel, that really helps too.
Yes!
You literally feel like you can drive forever.
No truer words!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I naturally sit very upright cause of long legs. 36” inseam.

Not that it matters to us, but I think steering wheels with air bags they recommend 10-12” clearance

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had worse.........
Do tell.

Here’s mine, young 20’s. Was driving my best friends pathfinder (90’s) with him and my cousin in the car. Was about 3 am and I see flashing lights ahead. Too tired and out of it to slow down I just can’t figure out these flashing lights. Still too dumb, numb and out of it from being tired I finally comprehend what it is........

It’s a car dead stopped in the driving lane on a long bridge with no shoulder. Instead of careening into a stopped car at 75 mph I decided NOT to hit the brakes and yanked the wheel hard left and then correct.

To this day I thank God for bringing me safely through such a stupid self-induced situation. I now use sunflower seeds, and naps. Cause getting there is more important than trying to push through.

And if you think you can’t 4-wheel drift a pathfinder on pavement, I know you can cause I’ve done it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
and naps.
Those help immensely. I've found out that the most I can sleep laying the driver's seat back is about 30 minutes which work ok for a time. In longer trips, I squeeze back and lay across the back seat. The back seat in an extended cab isn't great or roomy, but I sleep much better laying down.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do tell.

Here’s mine, young 20’s. Was driving my best friends pathfinder (90’s) with him and my cousin in the car. Was about 3 am and I see flashing lights ahead. Too tired and out of it to slow down I just can’t figure out these flashing lights. Still too dumb, numb and out of it from being tired I finally comprehend what it is........

It’s a car dead stopped in the driving lane on a long bridge with no shoulder. Instead of careening into a stopped car at 75 mph I decided NOT to hit the brakes and yanked the wheel hard left and then correct.

To this day I thank God for bringing me safely through such a stupid self-induced situation. I now use sunflower seeds, and naps. Cause getting there is more important than trying to push through.

And if you think you can’t 4-wheel drift a pathfinder on pavement, I know you can cause I’ve done it.
Reference the thread "stupid stuff you've done truck wise". My story is there.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
On my trip towing my 11,000 lb enclosed trailer from South Carolina to Kansas from Kansas to Oklahoma and from Oklahoma back to South Carolina I averaged on the interstate about 3000 to 3100 RPMs constantly. Zf5 4 10

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my trip towing my 11,000 lb enclosed trailer from South Carolina to Kansas from Kansas to Oklahoma and from Oklahoma back to South Carolina I averaged on the interstate about 3000 to 3100 RPMs constantly. Zf5 4 10
Were you not able to use 5th gear... or going 85 mph with 11K trailer??

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so last night I went and got the frame and axles, looks like the front end needs a couple seals and bearings, but the gears seem tight… the rear diff is limited slip! F5 axle code, 4.10 ratio, 8250 lb capacity large pinion Sterling 10.25 rear axle. Gears on it seem tight too… it also needs a seal, which will result in a full reseal, and both axles appear to need some brake work… but for $500 bucks, I think I got a good deal. This truck was a feed truck, a friend of mine bought it, to put the bale bed on his first gen Cummins Dodge, and then he took the transmission, transfer case and engine out, and the cab off, and then I found out about it, looked over the axles, and decided it was a pretty good deal. Also comes with 4 dually rims, and I already have a full set of 6, so that should do me on rims for spares LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.