Max safe sustainable RPM

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would probably be cheaper to go with a set of superduty axles, most of them were 3.73.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on Black Dawg’s post above (#20) I would regear that Dana 60 front to 3.55’s. And keep the single rear wheel.

Unless your goosenecks are super heavy and you really want 4.10’s..

Do you need or want a Dually? Love the service bed idea.

My 24v was 3.54’s with 33’s. NV-5600. I HATED reverse. Never towed heavy. So can’t comment there. My best friend has grossed 30k locally with his ‘99 24v with 4.10’s. Both of our pickups are stock power wise. And his does it with little complaint. Over 300k. I’d still prefer 3.55’s just cause I never need to tow heavy and would rather have the top speed.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on Black Dawg’s post above (#20) I would regear that Dana 60 front to 3.55’s. And keep the single rear wheel.
While that sounds like a good idea, I would have to find SRW front hubs… just swapping to dually might actually make things simpler, but not necessarily in the long run.
Unless your goosenecks are super heavy and you really want 4.10’s..
I rarely hit 30k, but I do sometimes… and me old rig doesn’t have sway bars… the Dodge has been utilized for it… but pulling that heavy a feller really needs duals… Duchess could be made to handle a load better… with the axle swap.

Most the time I don’t have a trailer, or just an empty one, and get sent far off… needs range and speed and power… and stability… AAAUGH!!! WHILE RETAINING SIMPLICITY DAMN IT! I gotta keep my head screwed on right…
Do you need or want a Dually? Love the service bed idea.
I… don’t need a dually, but would gladly take the extra stability at the cost of fuel and tires… fine by me.

The service bed sounds like the deal, definitely need the storage of the service bed over the bulk space of a flatbed, but I must say those contractor beds that are like a hybrid look perfect, but are usually super expensive, as that design is fairly new.
My 24v was 3.54’s with 33’s. NV-5600. I HATED reverse. Never towed heavy. So can’t comment there. My best friend has grossed 30k locally with his ‘99 24v with 4.10’s. Both of our pickups are stock power wise. And his does it with little complaint. Over 300k. I’d still prefer 3.55’s just cause I never need to tow heavy and would rather have the top speed.
The trucks at work have Cummns engines and 6 speed automatics, all same ratio, but some are 4.10s, some 3.73s and 1 is a 3.55. I do not like pullin heavy with the 3.55 truck… the 3.73 trucks are fine, and the 4.10 trucks are nice when pulling but not super for unloaded, but still okay. Being Cummins powered, they rev out of their powerband by 70 mph… we also have a 4.88 truck… and that, is too damn deep. Redlined at 78 mph. Powerband sluffs off by 55. To hell with that…

3.73s are definitely my preferred gearing of choice

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I think you are on the right track.

Swap in the axles, gain pulling power, and stability, at the sacrifice of economy which is fine by you.

Maybe down the line an aux OD unit will show up and you can gain your empty speed back at lower rpm’s. In the mean time sounds like your IDI is ready to SING!!! :cheers:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't have a dog in the game, but I just gotta ask: why would anyone drive 80mph in one of these trucks? If my wife/kid/friend was dieing, I'd understand, but I promise it'll be there when you get there. Slow down, chill out, fix your stereo, put in a good sermon or worship album and appreciate the scenery.

My oldest brother was in a terrible wreck because he used to have to fly everywhere. It rattled him so bad he drove 40mph for a for a few years afterwards. Eventually he got over it, but dang 80mph in our big trucks? These trucks were made in the 80s, "ARRIVE ALIVE, DRIVE 55". I actually have one of those license plates on the front of my dually.

With a ZF5 at a comfortable 2000 RPM you're doing 55, and what ever it is will be there when you get there.

The band Alabama said in their song "I'm in a hurry" that: I just can't stop, I have to drive so fast, my car has nothing to loose.

Anyway, I have no dog in this game. I just wanted to make y'all think.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just gotta ask: why would anyone drive 80mph in one of these trucks?
I understand fully what you are saying...and I mostly agree on a lot of aspects of this...

But...

When you get on some well-travelled highways...it actually is safer to keep up the tempo in traffic...when people back up behind you...they get antsy and some ramp up the impatience and anger a lot faster than others...it sucks...but it is reality...it makes people do stupid stuff to try to get ahead of the pack...if they feel like others are not doing their part to move things along...

I saw a bunch of this all last year while making many trips...moving our stuff south...and dealt with it as best as we could...we just tried to be the least obstructive as possible...and we survived...it was an ordeal...and I am glad it is mostly over...

I drove my truck fairly fast when it was unloaded...I had just bought it and I needed to get it to where I was at the time to sort out any bugs before I started really using it...I felt safe in it...even without ABS and airbags...handles good and good brakes...

As long as you keep a level head and a long following distance...anticipate your stops and read the mood of the other drivers...and keep The Lord in your mind...everything will be OK...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand fully what you are saying...and I mostly agree on a lot of aspects of this...

But...

When you get on some well-travelled highways...it actually is safer to keep up the tempo in traffic...when people back up behind you...they get antsy and some ramp up the impatience and anger a lot faster than others...it sucks...but it is reality...it makes people do stupid stuff to try to get ahead of the pack...if they feel like others are not doing their part to move things along...

I saw a bunch of this all last year while making many trips...moving our stuff south...and dealt with it as best as we could...we just tried to be the least obstructive as possible...and we survived...it was an ordeal...and I am glad it is mostly over...

I drove my truck fairly fast when it was unloaded...I had just bought it and I needed to get it to where I was at the time to sort out any bugs before I started really using it...I felt safe in it...even without ABS and airbags...handles good and good brakes...

As long as you keep a level head and a long following distance...anticipate your stops and read the mood of the other drivers...and keep The Lord in your mind...everything will be OK...
I understand the logic, really I do. But I rarely drive on the interstate, I take back roads to avoid hustle and bustle, I like scenery.

I'm a trained "smith system" driver, I understand the habits of drivers. I just think 80 is nuts!

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak

I do understand that these trucks were designed in the 80’s, with the national limit of 55 mph. However, I drive interstate highways and busy standard highways all the time. As @XOLATEM said, it is safer to keep up with the flow of traffic. A few mph over or under doesn’t really mess up the flow, but 55 in an 80, I would say, is actually more dangerous than 85 in an 80.

80 is the speed limit in some places that I go, 75 is the max in Kansas, but I travel out of state plenty. And as you said, these trucks were designed for 55 mph or less. But, I would like to modify mine so it is capable of traveling at high speeds safely, effectively, and comfortably. But, this is NOT a bash on you, I absolutely see your point. However, different people have different things they do with their rigs. I love the variety on this forum, and I do appreciate all suggestions. Good logic, Jesus Freak.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not for the bargain I got on these…
By the time you figure up the cost of the gears, bearings, shim kit, seals, oil, and time just for one axle is far from cheap. And if you have to pay to have it done, it will come to about the same as I have bought complete 4x4 superduty trucks for.

James

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the time you figure up the cost of the gears, bearings, shim kit, seals, oil, and time just for one axle is far from cheap. And if you have to pay to have it done, it will come to about the same as I have bought complete 4x4 superduty trucks for.

James
I would want to rebuild axles from a Superduty, or from any donor for that matter. Want it all to be right. This deal comes with a frame, and all the steering gear and suspension. I’m really sure I got a good deal.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not that it applies to anything other than my Blue Truck here, but it really is a great highway cruiser. I can comfortably drive 70-75 for hours and not worry one bit about it. I have also discovered that 74 is the "magic" number. When my speedometer hits 74, it runs better. At 74 and above it seems like the engine must be more efficient or something. It takes less effort (input from the throttle) to pass another vehicle. So driving that fast isn't a problem for me unless there's a nasty headwind. Keep in mind that the engine is N/A, has ported heads, and us running headers which all may affect the way the engine performs.
Why drive that fast? #1 because I can. #2 because it's fun since no one expects to see an old truck like this going that fast. Especially if it's a diesel. #3 because out where I live, there's less trees than where KansasIDI, Jesus freak, and SedNeck84_03 live so vision isn't an issue 98+% of the time during the daylight hours.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it applies to anything other than my Blue Truck here, but it really is a great highway cruiser. I can comfortably drive 70-75 for hours and not worry one bit about it. I have also discovered that 74 is the "magic" number. When my speedometer hits 74, it runs better. At 74 and above it seems like the engine must be more efficient or something. It takes less effort (input from the throttle) to pass another vehicle. So driving that fast isn't a problem for me unless there's a nasty headwind. Keep in mind that the engine is N/A, has ported heads, and us running headers which all may affect the way the engine performs.
Why drive that fast? #1 because I can. #2 because it's fun since no one expects to see an old truck like this going that fast. Especially if it's a diesel. #3 because out where I live, there's less trees than where KansasIDI, Jesus freak, and SedNeck84_03 live so vision isn't an issue 98+% of the time during the daylight hours.
Yes. ZF5 and 3.55s are great. That’s my current setup.

A buddy of mine has a 95 F350 CCLB dually with a ZF5 and 4.10s. It’s just fine at 80 mph. But the engine is wound for sound on the interstate… it runs amazing though. But, he has a fully built 7.3 PSD making 380 horse and 770 torque… and gets 9 mpg…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online