IDI Newbie

Mattbo

Reaction score
I would guess any "normal" ATF will work. I used what was left of my Dex/Merc I used for my transmission. I have read accounts where Type F has higher detergent characteristics. Ok, fine. If I had type F laying around I would use it. It's just a couple of quarts for maybe 20 minutes of running time to do this flush. The new ATF's don't have as much detergent agents as years ago as I understand it. I did follow up by filling my tank and used the max amount of Diesel Kleen that their label specifies. That was maybe a couple months ago I did this and the truck is running just fine.
I just added some ATF directly into the filter and cranked to to circulate. I’ll let it sit overnight and top off the tank with fresh diesel and more Kleen. Thanks again for the assistance I’ll check back with how it goes.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I hit a few hiccups last night, being a newbie to IDI’s i’ve been reading tinkering reading tinkering. I determine there was a chatter/rattling last night coming from the bell housing so that led me down the wormhole. I researched as much as I could pulled the dust cover off and inspected the best I could. I’m almost certain I have a DMF which means it’s original to the truck or been replace a long time ago it was an unmolested cattle farmers pasture truck in South FL he claimed to have replaced the clutch within the last two years so now I’m in that rabbit hole. Has anyone heard from a long time ago maybe 15 years that said fuel injection components can cause rattling back there? (As in they’ll produce noises outside of the engine due to changes in running conditions) I’m changing the coolant and giving it a good flush today then researching the clutch and flywheel. I understand the DMF’s are crazy expensive and I would probably be better off to go to an SMF and new clutch even with the noise increase.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels will cause noise in the drivetrain. They hit so hard when they fire, that they shake and rattle the transmission on through to the rear, especially at idle when there is no load on the drivetrain.

That was the reason for the DMF. To dampen these vibrations when the diesel engine fired. But the DMF wears out. I am almost sure the farmer didn't replace the flywheel back then when he replaced the clutch. They were around $1000 just for the replacement DMF. All that being said, when you change to a SMF aftermarket flywheel, be ready for a little noise. Like I said there was a reason for the DMF, when you go to the SMF depending on how smooth your engine runs you will get some noise from the transmission. It's normal, do not worry about it, I have found if you raise the idle speed a little bit a lot of the noise will go away. I would not try any different types of oil in the transmission, it only makes it shift hard in cold weather.

Mattbo

Reaction score
Diesels will cause noise in the drivetrain. They hit so hard when they fire, that they shake and rattle the transmission on through to the rear, especially at idle when there is no load on the drivetrain.

That was the reason for the DMF. To dampen these vibrations when the diesel engine fired. But the DMF wears out. I am almost sure the farmer didn't replace the flywheel back then when he replaced the clutch. They were around $1000 just for the replacement DMF. All that being said, when you change to a SMF aftermarket flywheel, be ready for a little noise. Like I said there was a reason for the DMF, when you go to the SMF depending on how smooth your engine runs you will get some noise from the transmission. It's normal, do not worry about it, I have found if you raise the idle speed a little bit a lot of the noise will go away. I would not try any different types of oil in the transmission, it only makes it shift hard in cold weather.
My thoughts exactly I doubt he changed it since he did injectors, but not the IP just Farm mentality “ain’t broke don’t need fixing” I’ve read up on the SMF and understand the difference in “noise” it is what it is, but getting a complete SMF kit for a fraction of just the DMF that’s a no brainer for me. I’m a full time Firefighter so half deaf anyways and my daily driver is a 7.3 Excursion so I’m used to the noise.

Mattbo

Reaction score
With that being said does anyone have any advise on what SMF clutch kit to buy? All I’ve read up on it LUX

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Luk kit is good. I have heard recently that the throwout and pilot bearings aren't very good anymore though. Most recommend buying the Luk kit and swapping the bearings for Timken.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have been getting the kits from rockauto. I see they have one on there for $232.79. It's a 12" perfection clutch. Warning, a lot of these aftermarket clutches are oversize. So your bottom cover will not fit without rubbing. Most people just leave the cover off. I have been running mine for years with no cover.

Mattbo

Reaction score
Some people have been getting the kits from rockauto. I see they have one on there for $232.79. It's a 12" perfection clutch. Warning, a lot of these aftermarket clutches are oversize. So your bottom cover will not fit without rubbing. Most people just leave the cover off. I have been running mine for years with no cover.
The dust/inspection cover?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from a long time ago maybe 15 years that said fuel injection components can cause rattling back there? (As in they’ll produce noises outside of the engine due to changes in running conditions)
I suppose that it could happen, but I think it would have to be running pretty badly in order to make noise in an unusual/louder than normal way.
I understand the DMF’s are crazy expensive and I would probably be better off to go to an SMF and new clutch even with the noise increase.
I agree and I'm not 100% sure if you can even buy a new DMF anymore. Maybe you can and I just don't know about it. I have no desire whatsoever to go back to a DMF even if I could and it wasn't for an outrageous price. You can check yours. Remove the dust/inspection cover and look at your flywheel. If you can grab the part of the flywheel that the clutch bolts to and rotate it around (back and forth) any at all, it's bad.
They were around $1000 just for the replacement DMF.
When I worked on these for a living, 1995-2001, the shop would buy DMFs from a place called Bishop Machine (IIRC) that was somewhere in Texas. People would wonder how we sold them for so much cheaper than anywhere else could. The real answer is that I think they were rebuilt, not new, but I don't know that for sure. They were sold as new and I couldn't say otherwise.
All I’ve read up on it LUX
LUK. Like Redneck said, I'll recommend them too. I've had no problems with mine and I've been running the same kit, bearings and all, since 2006. I've had it in two trucks and one Bronco.
Most people just leave the cover off. I have been running mine for years with no cover.
I don't have one on mine either. Just don't let Jesus Freak see this. He'll claim that you'll suck up all of the neighborhood cats, fogs, and whatever other crazy thing that comes to mind by doing this.
The dust/inspection cover?
Yes.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I suppose that it could happen, but I think it would have to be running pretty badly in order to make noise in an unusual/louder than normal way.

I agree and I'm not 100% sure if you can even buy a new DMF anymore. Maybe you can and I just don't know about it. I have no desire whatsoever to go back to a DMF even if I could and it wasn't for an outrageous price. You can check yours. Remove the dust/inspection cover and look at your flywheel. If you can grab the part of the flywheel that the clutch bolts to and rotate it around (back and forth) any at all, it's bad.

When I worked on these for a living, 1995-2001, the shop would buy DMFs from a place called Bishop Machine (IIRC) that was somewhere in Texas. People would wonder how we sold them for so much cheaper than anywhere else could. The real answer is that I think they were rebuilt, not new, but I don't know that for sure. They were sold as new and I couldn't say otherwise.

LUK. Like Redneck said, I'll recommend them too. I've had no problems with mine and I've been running the same kit, bearings and all, since 2006. I've had it in two trucks and one Bronco.

I don't have one on mine either. Just don't let Jesus Freak see this. He'll claim that you'll suck up all of the neighborhood cats, fogs, and whatever other crazy thing that comes to mind by doing this.

Yes.
The last comment had me cracking up. I haven’t had a dust cover on my Excursion for several years. Thanks for all the info I think I’m pretty set. The truck runs great just a little smoke while driving so I’ll double check the timing to make sure, but otherwise it’s fun to drive and I look forward to working on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7