1994 7.3 IDI Swap out

BYBJOHN

Reaction score
I am swapping out my 94 7.3 with a same-year 7.3 IDI. These are now 30 years old. While it's hanging, what would you replace on it? Already doing exhaust manifolds and valve cover gaskets. My first time working on one. I will likely also replace the water pump, as the one on the original engine is only a year old.

Looking for some good advice, everything is easy to get at when on the stand.

John

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front and rear crankshaft seals are always a good thing to do when you have easy access...how about the oil cooler seals and gaskets...?

The crankcase vent grommet should be looked at to see if it is still in good shape...and cleaning out the vent housing...I would look into...

Thermostat and gasket would be a good idea...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Make sure when you do the water pump, you pay attention to the two specific bolts at the very top, they can't be too long or they'll interfere with the IP gear.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you do the water pump, you pay attention to the two specific bolts at the very top, they can't be too long or they'll interfere with the IP gear.
My favorite way to do it is to go ahead and unpack the new water pump, and keep it close to where I’m working, so when I take the bolts out of the old pump, I can put them in the same hole on the new pump. Then once I pull the old pump out, I switch the bolts back to it, and then put the new pump on, that way, I never lose track of where the bolts go.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
In my experience the new water pump usually comes with two new bolts and instructions. But who reads those?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing a similar overhaul with a known good engine. I just ordered oil cooler seals/block seals, rear main PTFE seal, water pump (comes with gasket), Lift pump, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifolds (my passanger side is cracked all the way through) and exhaust gaskets. About 150$ through RockAuto no discount. Not bad at all IMO. I'd like to also replace the glow plugs (Mine are not motorcraft and are different sizes) also like to do new injectors since two are different on my motor and it runs a little funny at idle

I recommend replacing anything that's a b to the Itch to do IN the truck. Oil cooler, motor mounts, freeze plugs, rear main, oil pan, front seal...you get the idea.

94NAIDI

Reaction score
While apart, look at the tips of your valves and rocker arms for wear. While I had my 94 7.3 IDI out for a broken glow plug tip removal, I noticed two valves with excessive wear on the intake valve tips as well as on the corresponding rocker arms. Truck was running fine with no signs of issues, but I was glad I caught it while I already had the head off. At that time, the rocker arm assemblies were still available from Rock Auto but the intake valves were not. I called every vendor on the internet who claimed to have the valves and none of them did. The valves are indeed different in the IDI than the Powerstroke. Some vendors thought they were the same. I ended up having to buy a parts motor to get two valves out of. Hopefully yours are fine. But definitely worth checking while its hanging.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Block Heater, if it looks grungy, green like Corrosion if it is leaking, if it`s the 30 yr old original, Bet the rubber "O" Ring is cracked etc....
Living where you do, you definitely need it.

They are pricy, see them for around $80, and you want the 1000W one.

Found this one for $49, OEM Ford.

You can buy just the Cord for around $22 on E-Bay if yours looks like it`s been through a fight with the belts.
be sure it is well zip tied away from things.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online