7.3 idi swap for 7.3 turbostroke

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first PU when I got out of the Navy, was a 64 C1000 Step Side, 266V8.
2 yrs old for $1200, torsion Bar front end. Love that little truck. Wish I had kept it.

I also own a 67 1500B 1 1/2 ton, 345V8 4-spd 4- spd brownie.
Owned since 72.
Those old Corn Binders were good trucks.

I was just telling my Wife last night, I`d like to find a good cab and long bed step side fenders, and swap out the 86 body on the F-250.
After all the engine is an International that every one loves.
Last made this cab style in the PU`s in 68, but use it in the larger trucks till 79 with some slight modifications.

Beauty and ugly are in the arms of the beholder.

Goat

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a '67 IH Scout 800 in High School. Same 266 V8, 4 spd, and running around on 33's. Cold as hell during the Northern Minnesota winter, (I often rode around in a pair of insulated Carhart coveralls) but it always started and drove out of every ditch I dumped it into. That short wheel base could be a handful on snow / ice covered roads, but a ton of fun out on frozen lakes.

I love old IH's, despite their lack of appealing aesthetics. I would love to find an early 70's IH 3/4, 1 ton, or even a decent Travelall with a 392 and make a true towing truck out of it. Turbo charged (with twins, perhaps), EFI, Custom cam, 4 spd with a range splitter OD. Keep the RPM's below 4500 and let the turbo(s) do the work, and you could probably embarrass a Cummins or two while tugging an excavator down the interstate at 70 mph. Can anyone say torque rise?

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really, really like Binder trucks. But, I'll wait for the right ones. Want to put a 7.3 in one, and have 345 or 392 in the other.

But, I'd like to go with the 65-68 Galaxie with 6.9/7.3 project, then maybe later get some Binders

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a 1975 with a 345 in it. A friend and I used to call it "a diesel with spark plugs". I wasn't very mechanically inclined in those days and I parked it after (I assume) the ring gear came unbolted from it's carrier (or whatever it's called) in the rear end. I miss that thing. It used to get about 12 MPG. MUCH better than the 1075 F150 that I had at the same time. The 429 in the thing would only get about 8 MPG if I was lucky.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 1975 with a 345 in it. A friend and I used to call it "a diesel with spark plugs". I wasn't very mechanically inclined in those days and I parked it after (I assume) the ring gear came unbolted from it's carrier (or whatever it's called) in the rear end. I miss that thing. It used to get about 12 MPG. MUCH better than the 1075 F150 that I had at the same time. The 429 in the thing would only get about 8 MPG if I was lucky.
1075 as in propane?:)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

1075 as in propane?:)

No. 1975 instead.
I have an Arabian horse modeled after the 1075 F150, being the F150 she's only a half ton. But the F250 Shire can haul more weight, I can't afford to feed one of those though.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I parked the 67 when I couldn`t afford to feed it.
Gas got to the high price of $0.55 a gallon, and parked it.
Also the Pinion Bearing was going out at the same time. One of those thing, I`ll get to it later......that was 1979.

When International changed the body style in 69 to the boxy style, I didn`t like them much.
We had a couple 1 ton flatbed/cargo trucks at work, didn`t like the way they handled.
Later transfered to another crew, and drove a 73 (1910) Dump truck, 2 axle, with a 10 spd Road Ranger, don`t remember the engine number, but was 478 CI as I remember. It could pull anything if it could get traction. 2, 50 gallon Gas Step Tanks on ea side, and got 3 MPG. Big negative with it, on a hot day would vapor lock.
Had the same cab as the PU`s. but with Butter Fly Hood.

Was hauling Asphalt for a paving job, had 8 ton`s on her. Picked it up near the SF Air Port, long pull up 380 to 280 south to 92 and down to Half Moon Bay, Ca. on the coast.
Was giving her he77 on 280 (long down grade) doing 65 when this noise came out from the engine. Took a way`s to get her stopped, and so did the engine.....sucked a valve.
Guy I was chassin down the hill said "when I saw the smoke, I knew the race was over".
Checked the Oil and Coolant, was ok, nothing showed under the truck, but she wouldn`t turn over. Got hauled off the hill on the end of a big Peterbilt Tow Truck.
Was at Shop #4 a few weeks later, and the mechanic said the Rod went through the Block but on the inside and tore it up pretty good.
With the new engine, was never the same truck.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online