7.3 idi swap for 7.3 turbostroke

Black dawg

Reaction score
To me, an idi to 7.3 powerstroke would only make sense if you already have a donor vehicle. A 7.3 idi can be easily made to make good enough power levels, similar to stock or slightly modded 7.3 powerstroke. Dependability is actually more similar that alot of guys want to admit, with the edge over time actually going to the 7.3 powerstroke.

In the end, abused and neglected junk is just that. Idi is an awesome setup, but they fuel system is somewhat problematic compared to just about any other diesel. I have seen 300k plus idi trucks that had nothing done to them, and they run pretty poorly and had been that way the last 100k due to pump advance worn out of calibration or stuck. With the 7.3 powerstroke, as long as they aren't run out of fuel on a regular basis (dual tank guys), and get and oil change atleast every 10k they typically go well into 400k without much of anything fuel/oil system related.

The electrical side for sure is a hang up for guys that don't understand that type of thing, but even that stuff is less problematic than the idi fuel system, and not by a small amount either.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The electrical side for sure is a hang up for guys that don't understand that type of thing, but even that stuff is less problematic than the idi fuel system, and not by a small amount either.

As an electrician that does a lot of commercial & industrial troubleshooting, the PSD is still not nice.

I think a hydraulics technician may have the best applicable expertise.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really a fair comparison….. It is recommended to change the IP and Injectors on an IDI at the same time, since they all wear at as similar rate…

A quick look at CDD and R&D, a stock pump and injectors are $1400-1500

I’m not sure on 7.3 injectors, but I know on stock, from Ford 6.0 injectors are $200 each… so $1600 for a set of 6.0 injectors, I’m sure 7.3 are less….

Not much difference in price, to do a tune up on and IDI vs a 7.3/6.0 PSD

Also, let’s not start the PSD bashing (especially the 6.0) Yes the PSD’s have their problems…. But all engines do. I’ve owned all 3 (6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3 and 6.0 PSD) My 6.0 is all factory stock at almost 200k… and I am just now having 1 injector that is showing signs of needing replaced. That is also one nice thing with the PSD’s. You can just replace 1 injector and not have a mismatch like you would likely have in a mechanical injector, no matter the manufacturer..
Set of injectors for 7.3 psd is ~$1200, actually cheaper

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my buddies, thinkin the ones who either don’t have a whole lot into their IDIs, and/or have the cash to do it, are sellin their IDIs and buying 7.3 PSDs. I like the PSDs, more complicated, and sucky fuel pedal, but otherwise I like them. One of my buddys has a souped up 95 OBS makin 400 ish horsepower, but it weighs 14000 lbs being a 4WD CCLB dually flatbed with a Ranch Hand front bumper and a 100 gallon transfer tank. 5 speed. He had a 89 RCLB srw F350 4x4 5 speed with a N/A 7.3, it really liked freeze plugs

Two others have stock OBS trucks, one 94 and one 97, the 97 is auto 2wd eclb dually, 94 is 5 speed 2wd rclb F250. Both had 93s, ECLB F250 2wd 5 speed. Identical except one was white and one was grey

And another friend of mine has a Super Duty 7.3, auto, F250 CCSB, it is a gutless rag of a truck, has 400000 miles, new injectors upgraded turbo, and NO power. Worse than my 6.9 was. It is HORRIBLE. I think there has to be something wrong with it… he had an 88 CCLB dually 2WD 5 speed with 7.3 IDIT, he sold it and bought this POS…

Yet two more keep their IDIs, one is like me in that he has too much money into it to get rid of it, his 92 CCLB srw 2wd is clean, but he couldn’t sell it for what he has in it. Automatic.

The other one has a 87 with 7.3 swap, N/A, and 4 speed? Not sure why the PO kept the 4, but oh well to each their own. Is 4WD, and has 4.88 gears installed by previous owner, flatbed dually regular cab. He doesn’t want to sell it cuz he got very little in it, and it reliable as hell

Another… acquaintance… of mine, has a 95 CCLB 4WD that was a SRW 460 auto, converted to 7.3 IDI 5 speed dually, in just about the crappiest way possible. It runs like crap, and he won’t let anyone help him. Till he breaks down. Then needs a tow. But only he is allowed to touch that POS… smh

Lots of farmers round here have IDIs, fewer with PSDs

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the idea several years ago before I really knew anything about the psd to put a whole set up in my 84 bronco. I had scored a 03 f250 for whoa cheep and was going to do the extreme makeover......... and then I saw that there was an electrical potentiometer attached to accelerator with a wire coming out of it!!!.......... yuck. Parted the truck out, reevaluated my idea. Throttle by wire?!!! No way!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak that is actually one of the few things I have had absolutely no problems with. One thing I like about the drive by wire thing is that the accelerator sensitivity can be adjusted by tuning. I absolutely hate the factory dead pedal feel.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak that is actually one of the few things I have had absolutely no problems with. One thing I like about the drive by wire thing is that the accelerator sensitivity can be adjusted by tuning. I absolutely hate the factory dead pedal feel.

James
We're all welcome to our opinions. But as for me......... yuck!

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this guy has some info, not a full step by step but general info
he also sells a nice e-fuel kit check all of his vids
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my truck...no power or not...I will deal with it...and maybe turbo it at some point...I always seem to do things the hard and expensive way...

But one thing that I WILL NOT do...is buy some truck that makes you have to DISCONNECT AND LIFT the CAB to do any real work to it...

I'll be damned before I spend any money on a stupid-a$$ design like that..!!!

I thought about writing a letter to Ford and tell them why I will NEVER buy anything newer than a edge-body Mustang from them, ever.

And that goes for that ugly-a## electric P O S that they had the gall to brand as a Mustang...???!!!???

There...I said it...

I'll build a box outta old bedframes and stick it over a rolling frame and driveline before I lower myself to that level...and paint it with a brush...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my truck...no power or not...I will deal with it...and maybe turbo it at some point...I always seem to do things the hard and expensive way...

But one thing that I WILL NOT do...is buy some truck that makes you have to DISCONNECT AND LIFT the CAB to do any real work to it...

I'll be damned before I spend any money on a stupid-a$$ design like that..!!!

I thought about writing a letter to Ford and tell them why I will NEVER buy anything newer than a edge-body Mustang from them, ever.

And that goes for that ugly-a## electric P O S that they had the gall to brand as a Mustang...???!!!???

There...I said it...

I'll build a box outta old bedframes and stick it over a rolling frame and driveline before I lower myself to that level...and paint it with a brush...
1996 is the end of my automotive technology. And that doesn't include the PSD. What's a "edge body mustang"?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a "edge body mustang"?
It is a 1999 to 2004 Mustang that uses a throttle cable for the loud pedal...

I share your disgust for a 'mother, may I..?' acceleration 'request'...

When I hit any control in anything I drive...it is a 'command'...not a 'well...maybe I will do it...'

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set of injectors for 7.3 psd is ~$1200, actually cheaper
wrong bud. a set of IDI injectors is $500 for Justin's stage 1's
1200 for PSD injectors...

if youre gonna compare a DI set of injectors, to a IDI set of injectors and IP.
lets atleast plug in the cost of a HPOP

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 1999 to 2004 Mustang that uses a throttle cable for the loud pedal...

I share your disgust for a 'mother, may I..?' acceleration 'request'...

When I hit any control in anything I drive...it is a 'command'...not a 'well...maybe I will do it...'
...... Alexa, can we please have some acceleration?.....

I don't have any of the AI stuff on my phone, but that's what I think of on the throttle by wire thing.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wrong bud. a set of IDI injectors is $500 for Justin's stage 1's
1200 for PSD injectors...

if youre gonna compare a DI set of injectors, to a IDI set of injectors and IP.
lets atleast plug in the cost of a HPOP
Well this is in comparison to replacing IP and injectors of IDI to injectors of PSD, as the PSD doesn’t have an IP, although it has an HPOP, which I don’t think is normally replaced with the injectors, but I could easily be wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86