Max safe sustainable RPM

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not much fun on your ears, but you can run these engines against the governor if you like, all day long. They are designed to do that in service, especially at stock power levels. When boosted it's actually safer to keep the RPM's up rather than down. Easier on the rods. Not saying you have to run a turbo engine up against the governor but use the whole power band and don't worry a bit.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, that's my line! It's copyrighted, you owe me $3.
Now wait just a minute! While that is your line, IDIBRONCO isn’t a Dodge guy… u2slow and I are… but u2slow has Cummins powered Dodges, so he would just have your $3 Cummins-Dodge guy tax… but, I have a Dodge with a Dodge engine in it, which is a double whammy, so double tax. I owe you 6 bucks for IDIBRONCO’s use of your line. :rotflmao :joker:;Poke

Black dawg

Reaction score
My calculator with 235 85 16 and 4.10 shows
2700rpm in zf 5th, and 3500 in 4th.

Same truck with 3.55 shows
2400 in 5th and 3000 in 4th.

All at 80mph.

I finally have my truck geared at 3.55, after owning it since 02. My hearing would be better if i did this a few hundred thousand ago.....
Towing power as far as accelerating is slightly less, but i can pull faster now and mpg is up significantly.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That height should get you right back to the 3.55 gearing you left :rotflmao

You’ll need a step ladder to reach the bed and get in it!! Man this just fits you!! Cant wait to see how yours turns out, and likes 80 ;Poke;Poke:rotflmao

My van likes 72 with 30” tires, 4.10’s and an E4OD. It’ll run 80, but it likes 72.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That height should get you right back to the 3.55 gearing you left :rotflmao

You’ll need a step ladder to reach the bed and get in it!! Man this just fits you!! Cant wait to see how yours turns out, and likes 80 ;Poke;Poke:rotflmao

My van likes 72 with 30” tires, 4.10’s and an E4OD. It’ll run 80, but it likes 72.
That truck is just too tall…

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck is just too tall…
Oh I knew that, I was just pulling your leg. As you were wondering about 80 mph with 4.10 gearing and a ZF. So I figured bigger tires will get you back to the overall ratio.

I’m a stock height guy with 33’s. Skinny 33’s.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I knew that, I was just pulling your leg. As you were wondering about 80 mph with 4.10 gearing and a ZF. So I figured bigger tires will get you back to the overall ratio.

I’m a stock height guy with 33’s. Skinny 33’s.
Skinny 33’s are my favorite too.

This truck will have stock ride height for a ‘95 Dana 60 F350 dually after this… minty mint…

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skinny 33’s are my favorite too.

This truck will have stock ride height for a ‘95 Dana 60 F350 dually after this… minty mint…
I love the ride height of my 97 f350 C&C dually, absolutely hate the fuel mileage with 4.10 gears. I'm running the factory 235/75's. I'm sure that it will be similar on an idi.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re going flatbed too right?

What about finding a 2wd 3.55 geared IDI to be your 80 mph rig, and your “about to be dually” as your heavy work rig?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re going flatbed too right?

What about finding a 2wd 3.55 geared IDI to be your 80 mph rig, and your “about to be dually” as your heavy work rig?
Well, problem is, usually I need all my stuff, and I never have a plan for the day, I might know where I’m going in the morning, but might change at any moment. It’s all gotta be one truck. Has to be multipurpose… jack of all trades, master of none…

My Dodge just don’t quite cut it. It’s a regular cab… if it was an extended cab I might never have ventured into IDIs…

Regearing those axles is an option… might just be best to have 3.73s

I don’t need duals, but I am certainly fine with them.

Service bed ultimately. Will have to modify for pulling goosenecks…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online