Knocking engine

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Were you a great guy afterwords, or still friends.:idiot:
probably needed that Piston replaced anyway....

Goat
Hahaha I always been a great guy, at least from this side looking at me. Now on that other side of fence looking at me I wonder, suspect..... LOL LOL
BTW IIRC back in those days a carb kit for 4 brl Quad Jet cost bout $2.50-$3 while a rebuilt exchange 4 brl Quad cost bout $30+ or so.,

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
BTW IIRC back in those days a carb kit for 4 brl Quad Jet cost bout $2.50-$3 while a rebuilt exchange 4 brl Quad cost bout $30+ or so.,
GM guys love them, but that's all they're worth today to me. And that's on a good day.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
GM guys love them, but that's all they're worth today to me. And that's on a good day.
Oh no! & here I was gonna re-do the kit in mine that's in my '69 C30 with the dump flatbed that I hauled last Dec to Oregon from setting 33 yrs at my BIL, not fired or run but set in that hot humid NE Tx rainy country. Engine now freed up & I fired her other day, but she needs a kit bad! 4 brl Quad-jet
LOL LOL Here I was feeling good & suddenly you tell me that on a good day..... LOL LOL

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI I have never tried this with a roller lifter, but hydraulic flat tappet lifters, I fully submerge the lifter in oil and pump them up with a push rod before installation.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO @Nero

Do I need to soak lifters in oil before installing?

I fully submerge the lifter in oil and pump them up with a push rod before installation.
I soak mine. I'll let them sit for at least 3 days completely submerged in oil. I haven't had a problem. I haven't tried pumping them up and, honestly, I usually let them sit for a week. A few years back, a friend was putting a cam and lifters in his Chevy 350. He let the lifters sit submerged for 3 days and he had no problems. With the lifters that is. The rest of the engine? Well let's just say that he had problems.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rdnck84_03 @Nero @IDIBRONCO

I know a video isn’t the best way to tell, but does that sound more like a lifter stock shot or a valve hitting the piston because it is stuck open?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI My service is so bad at my house that I can't watch the video. It is usually hit and miss on getting pages to load.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.